New PWD coordinator.

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
Bravo11
Apprentice
Apprentice

New PWD coordinator.

Post by Bravo11 »

I have been selected to coordinate our packs PWD. We have aound 18 registered scouts but I'm sure not all will race. I had planned on printing out a few sets of the PPN charts with scoring grids and how ever many boys show up will be the set I use.
Two questions: First, on some of the charts I generate, only the chart is generated and not a scoring grid. Why? Second is this the best method for me to use. I have a small budget and most of that is going to track repair and improvement and building a finish timer.
I hope to continue to improve our program every year but this year I just want things to run smooth, be fair, and, be fun.
My criteria on the PPN is 3 lanes, (13-18)cars, 2 rounds, medium weights for all 3 heat ordering options.
I have a laptop available. Are the PPN charts setup in any spreadsheet formats?
Thanks to all.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: New PWD coordinator.

Post by Stan Pope »

I'd prefer to deal with product questions directly by email, but since asked, I'll try to answer.
Bravo11 wrote:I have been selected to coordinate our packs PWD.
Congratulations or condolences, as you deem appropriate. :)
Bravo11 wrote:We have aound 18 registered scouts but I'm sure not all will race. I had planned on printing out a few sets of the PPN charts with scoring grids and how ever many boys show up will be the set I use.
Good plan if you don't have a way to use a computer with projected display on race day. Even so, it is useful to have a paper copy to keep handwritten copy of the results as you go ... a disk crash at the wrong time ...
Bravo11 wrote:Two questions: First, on some of the charts I generate, only the chart is generated and not a scoring grid. Why?

When the page gets too wide for protrait printing, the program goes into "separate scoring grid" mode. As I recall, this happens at around 14 cars.
Bravo11 wrote:Second is this the best method for me to use. I have a small budget and most of that is going to track repair and improvement and building a finish timer.
I hope to continue to improve our program every year but this year I just want things to run smooth, be fair, and, be fun.
My criteria on the PPN is 3 lanes, (13-18)cars, 2 rounds, medium weights for all 3 heat ordering options.
PPN is a good choice for this size group. You may wish to use a two-stage approach, selecting about twice as many finalists as there are trophy places to award. The important thing in two-stage is to use a PN or CPN finals chart.
Bravo11 wrote:I have a laptop available. Are the PPN charts setup in any spreadsheet formats?
Thanks to all.
Coauthor Cory Young has such a facility that uses the DLL version of PPN. Perhaps a PM or email to him will get you a copy ... if you give him an email addy to use. :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Bravo11
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bravo11 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll send an email to Young about the spreadsheet. Thanks for the forum, I'm sure I'll be hanging around here for awhile. If I have any more questions concerning the generator I'll email you directly. I changed my profile so my email is obtainable. I'll have to read up a little more on the differences between PN and CPN but as I start to use the system I'm sure it will all come together.
If all goes well this year maybe I can get an increase in my budget and go a little more high-tech.
Thanks again.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

The main differences between the three (PPN, PN and CPN) relates to opponent balance. PN and CPN have total balance in opponents ... racing each the same number of times. Those are preferred when the "numbers permit." Most of the time, the numbers do not permit such balance, and in most of those cases, PPN provides near balance, but not perfect. Then, there are a few cases where even PPN criteria are not met. I prefer to avoid those charts by running a "bye" (empty) position in the charts by generating the chart for one more car than is actually present.

The above does not distinguish between PN and CPN charts ... PN assures equality in the opponents ... same opponents same number of times. CPN adds the requirement that each matchup between cars on a pair of lanes occurs twice, once with the cars in each lane.

So, accuracy of results improves as one moves from PPN to PN to CPN charts.

Enjoy!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PWTom »

Bravo11 wrote: I have a small budget and most of that is going to track repair and improvement and building a finish timer.
So are you juding by place or by time??