Outlaw Round Robin Race

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Outlaw Round Robin Race

Post by ranman106 »

Ok fellow PWD addicts, I need your assistance.

Our Pack is planning on adding an Outlaw race for Scouts, parents, and siblings this year. We will run this race the night before the Official PWD race.

We are considering a Round Robin format. Maybe 15-20 cars. My problem is I have never ran a Round Robin before. I was a spectator at one but that is it! I do like the thoughts of all the cars racing each other.

Any help on how to conduct this race is appreciated! Do you score each car or go by the least number of loses? We are looking for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finisher. No awards, just bragging rights about being the Pack Outlaw :roll:.
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Outlaw Round Robin Race

Post by Stan Pope »

PPN on 2 lanes with an odd number of cars (C) and (C-1)/2 rounds is a true round-robin (PN) schedule. If you extend to C-1 rounds, then it is a double round-robin (CPN) schedule.

It is lots of heats if you have 20 cars.

In addition, some combinations of number of cars and number of lanes creates a PN schedule. But they are sparse.

I'd go with 2 round PPN schedule for preliminary on as many lanes as you have and CPN for the top 7 scoring cars for the finals using your most equally matched 3 lanes. The finals is then a double round-robin among the fastest cars and the rest are ranked approximately.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Thanks Stan. I should know what format we will run for the Outlaw race following our planning meeting Thursday night.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Stan Pope wrote:PPN on 2 lanes with an odd number of cars (C) and (C-1)/2 rounds is a true round-robin (PN) schedule. If you extend to C-1 rounds, then it is a double round-robin (CPN) schedule.
But what if you have an even number of cars??? Add a dummy (bye) car to the mix! It doesn't hurt the accuracy!
Stan
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

Stan Pope wrote:If you extend to C-1 rounds, then it is a double round-robin (CPN) schedule.
This appears to be the way we are going to race. Now, just to figure it all out. This will be a first for me and I hope I get it worked out ok before race day. Any suggestions on how to practice? We don't have a pre-register so I won't know until check-in.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

ranman106 wrote:Now, just to figure it all out. This will be a first for me and I hope I get it worked out ok before race day. Any suggestions on how to practice? We don't have a pre-register so I won't know until check-in.
Simulation! Run several such races "on paper" (or "on computer") without running any cars. If you are using race management software that integrates with the track, set it up far enough that the hardware can be triggered by hand. Run simulations with hypothetical check-ins and predetermined car rankings. Assume each heat finishes in the ranking order.

Relate all real events during racing with the management simulation actions so that you know that the simulation is teaching you the right things.
Stan