New Method: Tier Racing System (Sorting Method)

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New Method: Tier Racing System (Sorting Method)

Post by MathGuy »

As an alternative to Darin's suggestions on ranking, which depended on absence of lane bias, consider using "Who occupied rank A (maybe ranks A and B) during the last N rounds" to select finalists. If N > 1, then A-C oscillations are compensated for. This can probably reduce the effects of a single "bad run" late in the racing.
Criteria, we give trophies to the top 3 and send top 2 to council races.

We raced 6 rounds, for each group. For our larger ranks (16+), we race 4 lanes, and we raced 3 lanes for the groups smaller than 15.

For the 4 lane configuration, from A group we take the top 3 finishers, and the winners of B&C. Note that the winners of B&C would have moved to the next round anyways. The 3rd place car of group A would have dropped down to B, but gets to stay in the trophy round.

For the 3 lane configuration, the 3 cars from Group A, made into the final 4, and then the winner of Group B (who would have moved up to the A group) make it into the final 4. I might add the top 2 from B next year, because I dislike racing 4 and having only one boy not get a trophy.

I was satisfied that this worked well. There is a percieved fairness if when we announce that the top 3 of A go or the winner B goes to the finals round, if you come in 4th then you don't get a trophy.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
rdeis
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: New Method: Tier Racing System (Sorting Method)

Post by rdeis »

I really like the goals and effects you reported for this system, but my pack has used a time method for 2 years straight to avoid any perception of lane bias.

A "finals" round based on time or a no-bias chart might work if it didn't take too long to administer- but maybe there's another way: Could a time or points element be introduced to reduce the lane bias?