How to set up a race

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
pack694
Apprentice
Apprentice

How to set up a race

Post by pack694 »

I have been with cub scouts for several years. This year is the first year we are responsible for a new pack. We need help setting up the race. We will have 11 boys racing. The pack has a 2 lane track. I am not sure on what method. Give me some ideas and rules on double elimination or what method is best. Feel free to email me with the information if you wish. Our race is Saturday, weather permitting.

Gardiner McLain
gsmclain40@netscape.com
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to set up a race

Post by Stan Pope »

pack694 wrote:I have been with cub scouts for several years. This year is the first year we are responsible for a new pack. We need help setting up the race. We will have 11 boys racing. The pack has a 2 lane track. I am not sure on what method. Give me some ideas and rules on double elimination or what method is best. Feel free to email me with the information if you wish. Our race is Saturday, weather permitting.

Gardiner McLain
gsmclain40@netscape.com
Hello, Gardiner!

There are alternatives! Double Elimination would be pretty far down my list, though!

2 lanes limits you, but makes it simpler to decide, I think.

First, I presume that you do not have a timer on the track to measure heat times. That is a popular method, although I, personally, don't like timers except for tuning the cars! So, I'll point you to a Charted Points system as the easiest one to get your arms around in one day. Next in line, I'd suggest a multiple elimination based on the number of trophies / places you need/want to award.

Select 5 or 10 rounds for 11 total racers. Be prepared to break some ties, especially if the track is old and the lanes are uneven. This works best if you can project the schedule and scoresheets on the wall and fill in the numbers as you go for everyone to see.

Multiple Elimination: Easier to run at the drop of a hat, but harder to learn to run. See http://members.aol.com/standcmr/nelim.html.
"Scorekeeping" is easy becasue you can tell how every participant is doing by which group he is in.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"