5E with Finals and my "new ideas"?

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: 5E with Finals and my "new ideas"?

Post by Stan Pope »

I think that it could reasonably be done. That would not keep me from wanting to know how to run with no electronics ... not even an electronic finish line. And the method as I teach it is ready to invoke so long as at least the cars will stay on the track and there is enough light for the judges to see the cars cross the finish line!

Has it been done? Good question! I think that Cory included it in his simulation.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
brownboy
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by brownboy »

[quote="Stan Pope"]I think that it could reasonably be done. That would not keep me from wanting to know how to run with no electronics ... not even an electronic finish line. And the method as I teach it is ready to invoke so long as at least the cars will stay on the track and there is enough light for the judges to see the cars cross the finish line!

two years ago we ran two tracks simultaniously at districts, I took on the job of supervising the racing done on the track with no electronics, I have to say the best thing about having human judges was that a virtual "dead heat" could result in multiple single heat winners, and it doesn't have any negative affect the racing, If anything it adds to the fun level for the kids, and reduces the points of contention for the parents..

If I had a wish list for this software I want, it would have a routine to allow "ties" in a heat race. In my experiance it's been hard to tell a kid (and his parents) "I know it looked like a tie,but the computer said you just lost by 6 ten thousands of a second"

not sure if i ever told you, but I reduced the number of chip bins needed to the actual E+1 number and there is a way to schedule all heats at the start of any round, you allways need (number of lanes)-1 bye tokens available, but depending on the size of the group you may or may not need them
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

brownboy wrote:two years ago we ran two tracks simultaniously at districts, I took on the job of supervising the racing done on the track with no electronics, I have to say the best thing about having human judges was that a virtual "dead heat" could result in multiple single heat winners, and it doesn't have any negative affect the racing, If anything it adds to the fun level for the kids, and reduces the points of contention for the parents.
Yes!!!
brownboy wrote:there is a way to schedule all heats at the start of any round, you allways need (number of lanes)-1 bye tokens available, but depending on the size of the group you may or may not need them
This is true with some exceptions. Here are some:

One of the benefits of no-chart multiple elim is that you need not close registration to late arrivals ... until E rounds have been completed. This can be useful in events serving a large geographic area with folks driving to unfamiliar locations.

Another is dealing with boys that "get lost for a while." This can happen in early rounds of larger events. One of the scouts at our district race was AWOL for lunch for two whole rounds. Came back, accepted the losses for those missed rounds, and went on to take 3rd place in the competition. If you try to schedule the entire round at the start of the round, an AWOL results in an open lane and may exclude previously AWOL scouts. The form, as I defined it, results in fully populated heats and defers the AWOL decision until the last few scouts are left in a round-group. An AWOL returning to competition when his group is racing but the count of unraced scouts is still above about 6 racers is allowed to compete with the group. (6 is based on a three-lane competition. The last few in line have a slight advantage in that they might be assigned to a two-racer heat. For instance if there are 5 remaining to race, one heat will have 3 racers and one will have 2 racers. For two-lane competition, you want, at most, one heat one heat to involve fewer than 2 racers.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"