Plan for Managing Your Pack's Race Schedule!

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Plan for Managing Your Pack's Race Schedule!

Post by murphken »

I find the area of setting up a fair race for all the cub scout packs very interesting. When I had a track and was a pack leader, I was spoiled by Randy's Software. I recently had a dad come to me and show me the results of his son's car. The overall results for the Scout's car were influenced by the race scheduling. Moral of the story: Make sure your pack gets the scheduling correct if you do not have experience in this area or do not have race software.
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Plan for Managing Your Pack's Race Schedule!

Post by Eagle »

Murph, guess you would have to be more specific. Are you saying they weren't running race management software?

Times are influenced by what lane car is running in as well as what car, or combination of cars, is running beside it - in addition to other factors. So, all racers cars will be influenced by race scheduling.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Plan for Managing Your Pack's Race Schedule!

Post by FatSebastian »

murphken wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:57 amMoral of the story: Make sure your pack gets the scheduling correct...
Like Eagle, I would appreciate a few more details also. Can you give an example of what characterizes "incorrect" scheduling? In the situation mentioned, was it, say, lack of opponent optimization (thus always racing against the same opponents, like Simple Lane Rotation)?

(And then there are multiple-elimination methods which are sometimes criticized, but these do not employ pre-determined schedules.)