need scheduling method for small group

Debates and discussions on the various race scheduling methods that can be used and their fairness and accuracy in determining the winners.
chipcoder
Apprentice
Apprentice

need scheduling method for small group

Post by chipcoder »

During our pwd we run an "open" competition during break for the parents and siblings. This usually is about 10 cars.

Last year the scheduling method we used resulted in my "block-o-wood" (really is a block of wood with wheels that I use to test the track setup prior to racing) comming in third place, and my non-cub son's car not placing at all. My son's car was well designed and consistently beats the "block" by several car lengths when run side by side. So....

I need a scheduling method for a 3 lane track that works for a small group (10 - 15), will ensure a more fair result and will get the open competition over quickly. We've found that if we let break go on too long, it's difficult to regain everyone's attention for the second set of heats.

Any suggestions?

(serves my son right for entering my block as a joke on me :D )
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: need scheduling method for small group

Post by Stan Pope »

Not sure why you need a break between sets of heats ... but I've used PPN charts on transparencies to manage races for than number of entrants... run as many heats as needed, recording results on the transparencies ... then pick up that racing again later if another break is needed.

Don't know if any of the race management software can be run that way.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
chipcoder
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: need scheduling method for small group

Post by chipcoder »

We have our derby over dinner time, and we take a break for pizza half way through. It takes us a while to get through 3 heats and the boys get restless.