EASY Pinewood Derby Car WINS using Science

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EASY Pinewood Derby Car WINS using Science

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:If you are asking me to go into why I feel it's not very scientific. Why i feel this way.
It would Co inside with the fact. I have openly shared here over the year's and done detailed testing and data. And have built over 500 cars.

And i think i have proven the process. Not just my process e's but overall the info. Buy many others using the info and seeing the same things and doing just as well. If not better then me with the info.
The data plane and simple is not accurate enough to be viewed as accurate science.
The distance comparison shared. Shown in his list to the right. Is off.
But yes. If we look at the standard energy explaining. This is about right on.

I spent 4 hours a day to 6 hours a day. 7 days a week running and testing. Murph, quadad, woodworx. They know I was really putting that much time in testing and tuning and learning.
When you don't give much info. I simply will not ever agree it was scientific.
And I could not determine right away. If the video was for kids or for science. Because he seems to have a mixture of videos. That seem to hinge on one or the other.
I don’t know who dr. Action is. But he needs to do some more testing.

The real honest issue. Any parent knows. When a child sees that video. Wow. The Co powered car. You see that. ? Play that again.
Why was that even mixed or added in. Next ask the kids what they got from seeing the video. Bet #1 answer would be tape weight on top of the car.
Remove the Co power stuff out of the video. And id then be proud enough of it to share it.
Sporty
How much info and data do you really expect to be conveyed in a 15 minute video? Sure, he could have left the CO2 part out.

If you think the video is that flawed, then I challenge you to make one that is better. It is easy to criticize what someone else has done. Not so easy to produce something better. I know that you have put in a lot of time in testing and sharing your experience. I do appreciate that and I am not trying to pick a fight, but maybe it is time that you put your data and experience into something that is clear and concise and do it in a way that many people would be able to understand it. Maybe get with this guy, as he is well spoken and entertaining, and make a more accurate video. Maybe get with Dr. Acton, who's data this video was based off of, and work to have better experimental data to back up a new video. I certainly would like to see the data redone based on a rail rider, instead of a straight runner.

In the end, what matters more to me is that the average racer can build a more competitive car, without spending hours and hours on the build. If they can do that off a "flawed" video, then so be it. Even better if a more accurate video is made available so they can make their car that much more competitive. Until I see a better short and concise video come out, I will point noobs to that video as a starting point and then recommend that they dive into Derby Talk to learn more. I just want to make the average racer more competitive, not have them do all that a league racer would do for their build. Many parents just don't have the time nor the inclination to go beyond the basics.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

sporty wrote:I don’t know who dr. Acton is.
Sure you do! Several years ago you offered a favorable review of his DVD ( the "science" basis of this YouTube video).
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

I think its interesting that the guys who approach PWD from the physics angle seem to overlook rail riding.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Well, FWIW, the concept of railriding isn't entirely intuitive. It's common knowledge among pineheads today, but not so much a decade or so ago.
LightninBoy wrote:I think its interesting that the guys who approach PWD from the physics angle seem to overlook rail riding.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Well at least it's a way to liven up a topic. Lol.

Thanks F.S. . I recall the pinewood derby professor. Never knew him by that I.d..

It would be great to get a group of us together and do a video. I don't have video equipment good enough or a track and timer anymore. But id enjoy a collaboration on a video.
My brief clips I've done over the year's are sub par.
Did enjoy helping collaborate on that book a few years ago.
F.s. had that same opportunity with the book too.

Have not heard to many bad things with the overall review of that book. It was great to be to do that.

Shared allot of PICTURE examples on here. I think speedster asked one time if they could be stickied.

Sporty
LightninBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by LightninBoy »

Vitamin K wrote:Well, FWIW, the concept of railriding isn't entirely intuitive. It's common knowledge among pineheads today, but not so much a decade or so ago.
LightninBoy wrote:I think its interesting that the guys who approach PWD from the physics angle seem to overlook rail riding.
Right - I didn't mean that as a slight against the physics guys. I wouldn't have thought of rail riding in a million years. But then again, I tend to think similar to physics guys and that's why I find it so fascinating. It makes me wonder what other non-intuitive but hugely effective solutions the scientific/analytical mind misses. And I wonder what kind of training/experience makes someone understand the importance of limiting a negative that can be controlled rather than striving for an unattainable perfection. I've taken that as a life lesson from PwD.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Maybe it's the difference between thinking like a physicist and thinking like an engineer...or something. :thinking:
LightninBoy wrote:
Vitamin K wrote:Well, FWIW, the concept of railriding isn't entirely intuitive. It's common knowledge among pineheads today, but not so much a decade or so ago.
Right - I didn't mean that as a slight against the physics guys. I wouldn't have thought of rail riding in a million years. But then again, I tend to think similar to physics guys and that's why I find it so fascinating. It makes me wonder what other non-intuitive but hugely effective solutions the scientific/analytical mind misses. And I wonder what kind of training/experience makes someone understand the importance of limiting a negative that can be controlled rather than striving for an unattainable perfection. I've taken that as a life lesson from PwD.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Did you hear the one about the physicist, the engineer, and the mathematician?...
:)
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:I don't have video equipment good enough or a track and timer anymore.
Don't you have a record of all the data from your testing? Use that for the basis of a better video.

Randy
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

gpraceman wrote:
sporty wrote:I don't have video equipment good enough or a track and timer anymore.
Don't you have a record of all the data from your testing? Use that for the basis of a better video.

Randy
My hard drive failed last year. And my back up went to use and it didn't work. I was like nice. I got some on paper somewhere. But most was on hard drive.
Still got allot of in my head. But not accurate enough to recall all the data.
Only video camera I got is on my phone. Lol.

So if someone has the equipment and time. I'm happy to collaborate with them.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

Wow, that is the best pinewood derby video I've ever seen on how to build cars (considering length of the video and entertainment value).

It seems that he's condensed hours and hours of reading and learning on these forums into a 15 minute video packed full of information and the Science behind why each thing is important.

If I were to point a new tiger cub parent to the "quickest way" to learn how to build a fast car, that 15 minute video would certainly be it. It almost isn't fair that with so little time investment, you can learn so much by watching this video.

I may post it on the pinewood derby section of our pack website.

The only part I didn't like was the reference to purchasing wheels and axles on line. He didn't caution the viewers to check their rules to see if that was legal first (it wouldn't be legal under our rules). For that reason alone, I'm hesitant to post this on our pack website.

He borrows heavily from Dr. Acton video, but seems to credit him for the work, so I don't see an issue there. He makes it much more entertaining and focuses in on the main items to concentrate on.

Very, very, nicely done.

birddog
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Looks like BSA is jumping on board. In their January 2015 edition of Boy's Life, they get into a shortened version of this video.

http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/pr ... derby-car/

I think I like the shortened version better, especially the added notices about checking your rules about the various techniques discussed.

https://youtu.be/
Randy Lisano

Scrollsawer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scrollsawer »

gpraceman wrote:It certainly is not perfect, but it was educational and entertaining. If some total noob followed this video and nothing else, they could build a respectably competitive car. To me, that is the most important thing.
This video is great for 'newbies' for a few reasons:

~It's entertaining and holds your attention (good video Production value, concepts clearly and effectively explained)

~It explains Physics in a fun, meaningful and effective way! (Awesome use of the building blocks as it relates to speed variables)

~It covers (perhaps not completely accurately) most all of the biggest contributors to a fast car.

~It is getting HEAVY circulation on social media right now (and conveying mostly great information to a really broad audience).

I can tell you one thing, this video got circulated around my Pack this year, and parents/scouts are taking notice and implementing these recommendations. Should make for a more competitive race in our Pack for those that implement the tips. Instead of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place cars being 5 car lengths in Team Scrollsawer's rear-view mirror, now they'll only be 2-3 car lengths behind us! 8)

Regards,

Scrollsawer
"Laugh a while you can Monkey Boy."
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I agree that this video has likely raised the level of competition for many scout packs more then any other on youtube.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

The difference between the two videos. From the original topic on page one.

The variations in this one. I like much better.
Still not a fan of using the blocks for explaining thing.

But I like it over the other video.