Axle and wheel alignment

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Axle and wheel alignment

Post by Loud2ns »

I used to think that 3'' of steer in 4 ft was a good drift angle to start out with.. but like they say it's better to have enough steer to hold the car to the rail then not enough.
I would try to creep up on steer early on. That was a bad method because without a track to verify many months were lost to rail slapping runs. I now error on the side of caution with more steer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Loud2ns
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Loud2ns »

I have conjectured that the optimal steering angle ought to be a function of track condition, center-of-mass (CoM) placement, and possibly track shape. This is partly out of theory, and partly because recommendations of heavier steer tends to come from upper-echelon racers who routinely operate with the most aggressive (aft) CoM location.
This has been my experience.

If unknown/rough track condition= more steer

CoM placement.
1"-¾"=less steer
¾"-under= more steer

Track shape.
Best track would be about ½" more steer than Freedom because the car may become unstable in the more aggressive transition.

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Loud2ns wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:58 pm

This has been my experience.

If unknown/rough track condition= more steer

CoM placement.
1"-¾"=less steer
¾"-under= more steer

Track shape.
Best track would be about ½" more steer than Freedom because the car may become unstable in the more aggressive transition.

Loud2ns.
Just trying to figure this out as the COM placement changes so does the weight on the DFW.
So more or less the weight on the DFW also plays a roll as well.. as to why more steer is needed as there is less weight on it.

( Just saying this for some weight values on the DFW to work with here.. along with COM placement changes)
Rough wood or metal track.. 19-21g or ( 0.67-0.74 oz) on the DFW.
Decent metal track.. 16-18g or (0.56-0.63oz) on the DFW.
Smooth metal track .. 13-15g (0.46-0.53oz) on the DFW.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whodathunkit wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:35 pmRough wood or metal track.. 19-21g or ( 0.67-0.74 oz) on the DFW.
Decent metal track.. 16-18g or (0.56-0.63oz) on the DFW.
Smooth metal track .. 13-15g (0.46-0.53oz) on the DFW.
Although I don't question these values, I would be interested in knowing from where they originated... probably deserving of its own, separate topic at this point...

UPDATE: Found it!