New Fastest Lube out there??????

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
clemsontigerfanatic
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

New Fastest Lube out there??????

Post by clemsontigerfanatic »

http://www.pinewoodextreme.com/detail.a ... r=30-8020#

Chart shows fastest graphite
Claims to be fastest dry lube but shows Nyoil as part of its test. Original
or Nyoil II ???????????

Is it just particle size?????? Medicine man from the old west- probably
Will I buy some well maybe

I dont know . Start of new season . Thought it would be good to hear
some comments on something
pwdxtreme
Merchant
Merchant

Re: New Fastest Lube out there??????

Post by pwdxtreme »

clemsontigerfanatic,

Our test was run using Ny-Oil II. The biggest difference in the Graphite/Moly lubes is the particle size and ratio of graphite to moly. Honestly we went through about 500 different combinations before we found this mixture. I'd be happy to send you our white paper on how our tests were performed and you can decide for yourself. Just e-mail us at info@pinewoodextreme.com and request the white paper.
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

PWDXTREME, Did you ever test SB-10 (KRYTOX) or silicon ?
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
pwdxtreme
Merchant
Merchant

Post by pwdxtreme »

FRANKLIN WHALEY wrote:PWDXTREME, Did you ever test SB-10 (KRYTOX) or silicon ?
Our chemist recently re-ran all of our tests and also test Krytox (103 I believe..we were told that was the viscosity of SB-10). We did not test silicon although. We have not yet completed the white paper with the results. We are hoping to have the white paper completed this weekend.
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

Remember the key to using any oil is application and axle and wheel preparation. In most cases less is better, especially with Ny-oil. Sb-10 is much more forgiving. However Krytox 100 is even more forgiving and faster too.
If cost is a factor, the graphite at $3.75 is much better than the SB-10 at $16 or the Krytox at $22. Although those prices will buy you a life time supply.
I would be interested in trying the graphite to see how it performs against the Krytox. I may just order some.
Panzer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Panzer »

Buckeye wrote:However Krytox 100 is even more forgiving and faster too.
Buckeye - Where do you buy Krytox 100?
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

Panzer, I sent you a PM.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Why not reply to the group??

I read in another thread that Krytox wouldn't be available until September (from Jennex). Has anyone heard otherwise??

I had gotten some info from Miller-Stephenson (distributor) a few months ago. I'll have to find it.

Some info:
http://www.starwax.com/blubike/sb_10.htm
viewtopic.php?p=6484

I don't mean to step on any toes, but lubrication is a hot topic. The right one will make a great car even better.
Buckeye
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Buckeye »

I did reply to the group with my opinion. Since you have communicated with Miller-Stephenson, you must know that they have Krytox available right now. Jennex sells Sb-10 which is a form of Krytox and also has it available. Krytox comes in many viscosities from 100 up. For those that have the time and ambition to test, I suggest it may be a better alternative than Sb-10 which is possibly the equivalent of Krytox 103. As for pm'ing Panzer, I had something to add that I didn't think was relevant to the topic. Like I said, I would like to try your graphite to compare. My best results so far have been with the Krytox 100. I am always looking for a way to get that little extra. I also like the fact that the graphite is much less money. This would be appropriate for the typical PW Derby racer that competes once a year at the Cub level.
BTW it is the Miller-Stephenson in Conneticut that I deal with.
metamorph
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by metamorph »

Well here is something interesting....

Max V posted his new products this week. And like every loyal customer, I had to check it out. To my surprise, Max V had a new Graphite Lube. If this wasn't suprising enough, I was curious about how it compared to Ny-Oil. So I opened both lubes in seperate windows and compared the graph's (posted here for easy viewing).

Unless I'm reading the graph's wrong. Max V's new graphite is faster than Ny-Oil.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Unless I'm reading the graph's wrong. Max V's new graphite is faster than Ny-Oil.
Yes, I believe that Tube-O-Lube and NyOil II are essentially equivalent. NyOil II still has the advantage of being easier and quicker to use, more consistent, longer lasting, and much less messy than graphite.

I'll update the site to make sure it is not misleading.
metamorph
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by metamorph »

Randy,

Thanks for the response. But your response has made me think.

1st...I didn't notice this at first and since you changed the Ny-Oil chart, it is no longer this way...but on the original Ny-Oil chart (i saved a copy to my hard drive) and the new Tube-O-Lube chart the graph's for the Hob-E-Lube were the same. Did you retest the Hob-E-Lube when you tested Tube-O-Lube or did you do that in the last day or so since my post?

2nd...
NyOil II still has the advantage of being easier and quicker to use
I would have to disagree here. Especially since Ny-Oil is so sensative in its application. I can easilly load graphite and go and not worry about if it was applied correctly.

3rd...
Tube-O-Lube and NyOil II are essentially equivalent
This contradicts what was originally posted on your site...
When properly applied it outperforms any dry lubricant including graphite
and also contradicts what a lot of individuals on this forum and the proboads forum are saying. I've seen some individuals basically question the results that PinewoodExtreme had with their Graphite beating Ny-Oil. Now your results show the same thing.

Don't get me wrong. As I said in another post, I am a loyal Max V customer, but you seem to have changed your original statements about Ny-Oil being faster than Dry Lubricants. The marketing side of my brain must wonder if this isn't just a marketing ploy to sell which every product is new for the year.

Additionally the Tube-O-Lube is (and I quote from your site)
Carbon Content - 95%
Particle Size - +325 Mesh (approx. 44 micron)
This means Tube-O-Lube is 95% graphite and 5% misc or other. I have always understood that the best Dry Lubricant is a Graphite/Moly Blend and not pure Graphite. BTW...I'm looking for other individuals's comments and opinions on this as well.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

You raise some good points-let me try to clarify.

1st - This summer I tested all three lubes together. I just fixed the graphite chart so the data is consistent with the Nyoil chart - sorry it was inconsistent and thanks for letting me know.

2nd - I guess this is a matter of opinion. I use Nyoil as the lube for my testing because it is so easy to apply. Once you get the hang of it, it is much faster and cleaner to apply than graphite.

3rd - True, we all learn things. Previously, I thought Hob-E-Lube was the best, so I used it for testing. I was quite surprised with I compared it with Tube-O-Lube. Regarding Molybdenum, the addition of this element has been assumed for a long time to be of value. I now question that. Note that the data from pinewood extreme shows Nyoil to be slower than graphite. I question that data as well.

Regarding marketing, this data will likely hurt my bottom line as I make more profit with NyOil than with Tube-O-Lube. But I'd rather make a little less than mislead people.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

And to think, all of this scientific discussion on testing for cars that only run 2.8xx's on a 35' Best Track, heck for the track compairson on the Derby Worx site we ran 2,6xx's on the same track using truck axle grease on the cars. :wink: :wink: :idea: :shock:

Race Fast

Racer X
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
metamorph
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by metamorph »

Racer X,
we ran 2,6xx's on the same track using truck axle grease
Now there is one I'll have to try :shock:

Randy,

So are saying that given a choice between Ny-Oil and your new Lube that you would choose Ny-Oil? Even thought the data clearly shows that the Graphite was faster. (NOTE: or Pack and District races use cumulative time...so I'm doing a basic total for both products)

As for the pinewood extreme test results, I believe I saw in another of their post...or perhaps it was in one of the e-mail conversations I had with them...that this was their first time using Ny-Oil. As you have said, Its application is sensative. But then realistically their results would show what an average consumer would expect. I know if I had purchased Ny-Oil and followed the instructions in its application and then lost my race; I would be an exremely dissatisfied customer.

Fact of the matter is that everyone has their opinion on what works and what doesn't. Heck, I can't go through a work day without someone tell me how they won their Pinewood Derby. But I believe that most people, like your data on the mold #'s, just relied on the data that you had posted on your web site. Then someone released some data...with supporting documentation...that contradicted your data and now suddenly your data has changed. I believe I am among the silent majority that believe that Graphite is faster than Ny-Oil and it is about time we spoke up.