Canted Axles

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Canted Axles

Post by asatxj »

(Started a new thread for this topic - MaxV)

To deviate a bit, shaved or narrowed wheels are often believed to be faster. What about installing the wheel/alxe on a 5* downward angle. This effectively makes the contact surface of the wheel quite small. Last year one of my kid's cars had narrowed wheels with 5* castor(camber?) and the other used stock width wheels with the same * Head to head they were about equal. Neither lost a race in our club. Poor tracks and alignment issues earned both 4th place finishes at the next level (20+cars)
All that and I'm wondering about perfectly flat wheels vs the angled set up and of course the shaved wheel. I have 3 weeks to Pole and need to get my formulas down!!
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Canted Axles

Post by MaxV »

You might want to read through the topic: "Front Wheel Interaction with the Center rail."

Although there is a lot of anecdotes stating that canted axles are faster than flat axles, the studies I have seen indicate just the opposite - that flat axles outperform canted axles. Although down-canting reduces the amount of surface area of contact and may reduce the effect of interaction with the guide rail, the following problems arise:

- Wheel hub constantly rubs against the side of the car

- Minimum distance between the wheels is slightly smaller, resulting in more contact with the guide rail

- Increased friction due to binding between the axle and wheel bore

So, I conclude that flat axles are the way to go.
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

Ok, then based on that premise what do you do on an edge guided track?

Also you must use a thinned wheel if it's legal, right? Given a flat camber angle of 0* in lieu of a 5* angle

FWIW I use teflon tape heat tape on the side of the car so the hub has little resistance. If someone wants to evaluate some PM me and I'll send you an inch. It's not a bushing so by our rules it's legal.
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

I suggest running flat axles on either an edge-guide or center-guide track.

If the rules allow wheel modifications, I do recommend narrowing the tread. But if this is done (and if it is a center-guide track), I strongly recommend shortening the inside wheel hub to compensate. Otherwise, the distance between the inside edges of the wheels is too large, giving the car too much free-play around the guide rail.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

asatxj wrote:Ok, then based on that premise what do you do on an edge guided track?
You may also want to sand off the Awana Grand Prix lettering on the wheels, since with outer lane guides they will probably rub against the guides.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.