Grooving the Axles

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Grooving the Axles

Post by Gavin Chafin »

I was reading some earlier posts and it appears that there is some disagreement over whether grooving the axles is a good idea. I’m still undecided on this one. If you’re using graphite, I’ve heard that the groove serves the purpose of providing a reservoir for the graphite. But, what if you’re using a wet lube? Could there possibly be a benefit to grooving the axle if you’re using a wet lube? Could grooving the axle reduce the initial wheel inertia (akin to raising a wheel)?
Barga Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Grooving the Axles

Post by Barga Racing »

Gavin,
We have always grooved our axles because after reading about it a few years ago I believed that was definitely the way to go, now I am also wondering. So I have decided to do some experimenting. If you read Stan Popes subject on "Hub evaluation protocal" he has a fantastic idea on doing experiments that would seem to be under consistent circumstances. I have my weighted ring made and simply need to do a couple more sets of axles to begin testing. I will have plain polished axles, grooved axles with multiple thin grooves, grooved axle with single wide groove, and a set of oversized axles, also a set of nickel plated axles. The wheels will be plain polished hubs, threaded hubs, and undercut hubs with only a 1/16" on either end for contact surface. To be sure one treatment works better than the others I am making 2 of everything and will do tests with all the combinations. I was only planning to use graphite with moly but since I just ordered some Nye oil I will also run all the tests with that as well. I should have some interesting data compiled when I am done. It might be several weeks though before I have it.
Last edited by Barga Racing on Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Can't wait for the results. Please let us know.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Just a few thoughts:
Could grooving the axle reduce the initial wheel inertia (akin to raising a wheel)?
Wheel intertia is reduced by removing weight from the wheels. Since the axles are static, removing weight would not affect inertia.
Could there possibly be a benefit to grooving the axle if you’re using a wet lube?
I would say no. Since thin film lubes work by coating the surface, coating inside the grooves would serve no benefit. And you don't want to leave a liquid inside the wheel hub as the viscosity slows down the wheels. It also can leak out, possibility fouling the track.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

Thanks, Randy. Very good answers.