Debth of axle slots

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Debth of axle slots

Post by VENARI »

When cutting in the axle slots into the block how deep should you go? Which is better, a shallow slot or a deeper slot --- and why. Thanks. Or does it not make much of a difference either way.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Debth of axle slots

Post by Teeeman »

Think we went .75 inches this year...

our '05 car was designed to .80 to .84 inches depth on the holes...

I think .75 will work.

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

VENARI wrote:When cutting in the axle slots into the block how deep should you go? Which is better, a shallow slot or a deeper slot --- and why. Thanks. Or does it not make much of a difference either way.
The standard block has them at 3/16" +-. You can go deeper if the intention is to get more weight below plane. However watch your guide strip clearance height, which to be safe should be about 3/8".
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

The standard depth on the BSA block measures .135 to .140 deep.

Our District doesn't allow moving or deepening the standard slots. :(

Teeeman is refering to the depth of the hole you would drill in the slot to allow easy insertion of the axel and better alignment.
billbillb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by billbillb »

From what I have read and been told, the deeper the axle slot the better. This will "lower" the whole car especially the center of gravity or center of mass. Just be sure not to lower it too much, it still needs to clear the center track guide. I think the min clearence standard rule is 3/8 of inch, but be sure to check your local rules.

This adds stability to the car....think of the concept when you see someone pulling a camper trailer on the highway with a lot of stuff loaded on top of it, it tends to wobble and sway a lot. If it did not have all the extra weight on top, it would be much more stable.

Increased car stability helps since the surface of most tracks are far from perfect. So if it hits a bump, a lower car would not wobble back and forth as much as a higher car thus not hitting the center guide and losing speed.

Hope this helps.
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

This will "lower" the whole car especially the center of gravity or center of mass.

I can see how this will change the center of mass. But how exactly does this change the center of gravity? Would if shift it forwards to the front or does it move it to the rear of the car?
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

apologies, I misread the question... slots, not holes is what you asked... sorry.

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

No prob, Teeeman. Though so too. Though it would have been an interesting looking car with the wheels mounted dead center on the side of the car. I wonder where the best place would be to graphite it though. :shock: [/b][/i]
WarpSpeedINC
Merchant
Merchant

Post by WarpSpeedINC »

If you are looking to lower the car, with the deapest slots possible, .250 -.275 is about the maximum depth, and still have the minimum 3/8 under body clearance. This doesn't leave much room for error, but based on a wheel with a 1.170 diameter, .250 should be fine.

Warp Speed
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing!