Wheels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
pinedust
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wheels

Post by pinedust »

I noticed that all wheels have a mold number. There is talk about matching mold numbers. Does anyone know if some numbers run better than others? We are not allowed to do any wheel treatment.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wheels

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Pinedust,
Check out the information that Randy has on his Max-V site. It shows the differences between the different BSA wheel mold numbers and explains them too.

We have sorted through our wheels for at least a couple years now. Does it make a difference? I have not done any side by side comparison but reading what others have done and what they have posted, it sure must. Last year we went through all the wheels for our Pack's pwd car kits and ended up throwing half of them away - all do to how they looked when hand spun on a Pro-Hub tool (also on Max-V site). Not only did we find wheels that would wobble side to side and that were not round, but we also found some that had a smaller hub bore size. I used that 4 wheel set on one of my pwd cars and it ended up being my fastest. Did the hub bore size make a difference? I can't prove it one way or the other as my other cars were all of different designs.

Read what Randy has at:

http://www.maximum-velocity.com/5453.htm

Da Graphite Kid
greg
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Wheels

Post by greg »

Does anyone have the same kind of information or done any type of study on the Awana wheels (narrow and v-shaped)?