Inlaid Teflon

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Colibri
Pine Head
Pine Head

Inlaid Teflon

Post by Colibri »

Another idea. What if you mounted a small block of Teflon in the block where the wheels will be mounted? This block would only be on the outer edge not through the width of the block. You then taper the hub of the wheel. I figured that a small surface area rubbing on Teflon would reduce the friction. Any ideas?
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Inlaid Teflon

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Colibri, while this may be a good idea to help reduce contact friction, I believe that most rules would not allow it as it would be considered a bearing or bearing surface. Good idea though - keep thinking 'outside the block'!

Da Graphite Kid
Sparky
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Inlaid Teflon

Post by Sparky »

I read a suggestion regarding impregnating graphite on the body around the axle. He said take some white glue and make a small pad, smooth it flat, then tap on graphite until it can't hold any more. I tried this last year and it seemed to work. Perhaps this could be tried at the wheel/axle interface, even possibly coating the axle.