Pointed Tip of the Nail

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Pointed Tip of the Nail

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Good point (pun intended :mrgreen: ) TurtlePowered. For those of us who have to use axle slots, this could be an issue. I don't recall seeing any rules that specifically prohibit modifying the points of the axles but I'm sure that this fits into that gray area of the 'spirit of the rules'.

As for inspecting for BSA axles; we look to make sure that the head of the axle is the appropriate shape (somewhat round and convex) and that a one-piece axle has not been used. It would be hard to inspect for much else while they are on the pwd car. If the axle slots were used, you could also look for the chisel cut point as well.

Coning (for lack or a better term) the axle point would definately need to be done with some sort of jig that could hold the axle shaft without damaging the head. I don't have any definate ideas on that but I do know that you would need to make sure that the axles were straight first (Tap, tap, tap).

Da Graphite Kid