Pinecar Kit versus BSA kit - Axle & Wheel Prep

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Pinecar Kit versus BSA kit - Axle & Wheel Prep

Post by PWTom »

Just when I thought I was out of Pinewood, a local radio station is having an open fundraiser for a local Troop/Pack for all the adults who's father never let them touch the car when they were kids. I thought I would enter just for some Pinewood fun.

You had to buy the car kit from the radio station, and they are the Pinecar kits with the one-piece axles and the "mag" wheels. I did some searches looking for tips on axle and wheel prep, but came up fairly empty.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of axles and wheels?? I think the axles simply need polishing and, IIRC, the wheel plastic is pretty soft and needs special handling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :!: :!:
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Pinecar Kit versus BSA kit - Axle & Wheel Prep

Post by MaxV »

Make sure that the wheel hub to car body gap will be okay. Since you cannot adjust it, it is defined by the width of the block. You may need to narrow the block to get the right gap.

If allowed, cut the axles in half. This allows you to set the gap, and makes it easier to polish the axles.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Ditto MaxV's comments, plus one suggestion.

Make sure you have an extra couple of axle "hub caps" on hand on race day.

They have been known to pop off "on impact" at the stop section and leave you in a bit of a pickle if you can't find the original and don't have a replacement handy.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PWTom »

Randy, Go Bubba,

Thanks for the suggestions. Axles are cut and I plan to get some extra caps. Is there a special wheel mandrel for these types of wheels?? None of my existing mandrels seem to work, the screw is too large to pass through the bore. I guess I could use the Pro Hub tool to enlarge the bore, but then I worry about the bore to axle diameter getting too far apart.

Randy, do you sell a block with extended slots?? We have to use the Pinecar axles, but I would like to move the wheels close to the ends of the block.

Man, I wish they had chosen BSA kits for this race :P
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Randy, do you sell a block with extended slots?? We have to use the Pinecar axles, but I would like to move the wheels close to the ends of the block.
PM Sent