Making Decals

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Making Decals

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

I know that you can buy ready made decals of all types (peel and stick, traditional soak off type and my favorite rub-on type) and I thought that this was posted about before but it must have been under some other topic: How do you make your own decals? Seems all the decals I find aren't what I want or they are too large for a pwd car (1/25 scale?).

Some methods I know of:

Decal Printer Paper. I've seen this on the web but so far have not seen it in stores. Can't remember the price of it but it is probrably expensive. The great thing is that any graphic file you can copy and paste into just about any word processor document can be printed or anything that you can normally print off your computer can be printed. The down side is that you have to print a page at a time so if yo don't fill the sheet up you just wasted some $$$. You can also print text in the same way. If I remember right, these soak off like the traditional plastic model decals do.

Clear Transparency Film/Paper. We've successfully used this in years past. I looked at the price of this stuff and it is expensive! Fortunately, I get folks at work to save me their used sheets of this stuff after they have used them in presentations. We set up to print on the unused portions so for us it has been free so far... The downside of using this is that it is relatively thick and inflexible. The edges of your decal will be easily seen and you will lose any detail that is underneath. To make it stick, we overspray a thick coating of clear gloss and place the decal on the pwd car while this is still wet and when dry we follow this up with at least one more coating of clear to cover the decal and help the edges blend in. The up side of using the transparency paper is that you can print any graphic file that you can copy and paste into a word processor document or anything that you can normally print off your computer. The down side is that you have to print a page at a time. Just Remember that it will take longer for the ink to dry on these when printed, so do it as a last thing some night and don't bother them until morning. Oh yeah, as each sheet prints, pull it out of your printer and place it somewhere safe - you don't want any additional sheets stacking on each other or you will end up with a sandwich of these that are totally unusable! :oops:

Plain Paper. I've also used plain printer paper and printed right on it. It didn't do as well as the transparancy film but is a lot cheaper. This was with a thinner - lower weight - paper. To date, I have not tried any of the heavier weight paper. This has most of the same properties as the decal and transparancy paper except for the price and the background color. Unless you use a colored paper and match it to your car color, you will have to cut around your home-made decal very closely or the paper color will show up. An option to this would be to have a white car.

Magazine Pictures. Although I have read of someone using these, we have not done so yet. You would have to be sure and cut out around the picture closely but you would need some way of adhering them to your pwd car. Perhaps the overspray of clearcoat method we use for the clear transparancy? In addition to finding a picture that was the right size, I would be worried about anything from the backside bleeding through. These should be relatively cheap - if you already own the magazine.

Photo Pcitures. I've seen where some boys have taken pictures of themselves and glued them to their cars - usually as the driver. Again, you would have to cut around the picture closely and find some way of adhering them to the pwd car. I do not know how these would react to any particular clearcoat spray. Just make sure you don't cut up a picture that you want to keep!

I'm wondering if the Tatoo Printer Paper would work as well (it's not cheap either!)?

Let's not forget that we can also scan things into documents from those unused scanners out there!

Suggestions for other methods? Improvements/suggestions on these?

These ideas and others will allow for very good looking and creative cars to be made by the boys (even us older boys!).

Da Graphite Kid
:thumbup: :thumbup:
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Making Decals

Post by MaxV »

Michael Lastufka has posted a little information about homemade decals at:
http://www.worldforchrist.org/races/car ... cessor.htm
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

I use bumper sticker paper to print my graphics on. I have purchased some cool NASCAR decals from the following site.

http://www.newlifesoftware.com/Decals/decals.htm

They also have F1 decals.

Testors sells a decal kit with software that I have purchased (at Wal-Mart) and installed, but not tried yet. It is a trial version with stripped down features that you can access by purchasing the full version online. It comes with waterslide paper, treatment spray, and software.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Another option is to find a plastic model car kit that has decals you like. It is not the cheapest solution, but when I was making my police car, the decals in the kit really helped make it look like a police car.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Loonscheid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Loonscheid »

I have had good sucess using clear self-adhesive labels. Againist a bright-light colored background the sticker is hardly noticable. Finish with a clear coat.
Colibri
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Colibri »

Here are some sites that I use for my slot cars.

Patto’s place is in Australia, so shipping and exchange rates apply

http://members.optushome.com.au/pattosplace/home.html

Slixx is base in the U.S. A good hobby shop that carry slot cars will have these is stock. They are mostly 1/24 but can be adapted
http://www.slixx.com/

Fantasy world is base in Washington and has good service. I have purchased cars from them before.
http://www.fantasyworldhobbies.com/slot-cars/

Radtrax is in Las Vegas, very good service. You will need to select a scale of car you want, scroll down till you see “decals and stickers” that will link you to the decals.
http://www.radtrax.com

Most of these sites have photos of what the decal will look like on the decal sheet and on the car. These will be very specific cars but they can be adapted.

With the clear decal sheets running them through an ink jet printer will not work. The ink is water-soluble and will not stay on the sheet. Many people have suggested that the sheet be sprayed with a clear coat before dipping the decal in water to protect the ink.

An other thing people in slot cars are doing is transferring an image on to a disk then running to Kinko’s and having them print the image with a laser printer. Warning some Kinko’s wont do this. They think the decal paper will jam the machine.

The best way and the most expensive way to make your own decals is the Alps printer. It will print on clear decal paper no problem. It will even print white.
http://www.info-central.org/finishing_alpsdecals.shtml
I pulled this link of a rocket site, I build and fly rockets as well.

Hope this helps.
Splinter Sprinter
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Splinter Sprinter »

As Colibri said, Slixx.com is a good place to look, My Son picked out some cool flame sets last year for one of his cars that fit just right.

http://www.slixx.com/s1485.htm?id=803
http://www.slixx.com/s1379.htm?id=809
http://www.slixx.com/s1380.htm?id=808

And your right about making custom decals, we do a lot for our plastic kits but printed on a HP photo printer isn't as good as the screen printed ones, and not as easy. Good Luck
Pinewood Derby- It’s not the destination, but the journey,for Two-There is no finish line!
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Mike, guess what my sons bought me for Christmas?
The Testor's Custom Decal Kit that you posted about. I like the idea of the half-sheets of paper so we don't waste most of a full sheet when printing only a few decals. The set comes with some nice graphics and I like being able to select you own car numbers. I was going to use another program for some curved text but this one will do just fine. They have several upgrades available and I may be able to talk my wife into one of these.

Da Graphite Kid
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Mike, guess what my sons bought me for Christmas?
The Testor's Custom Decal Kit that you posted about.
I have used the program to print on regular paper to test fit. I can see that it will probably be worth it to upgrade :!:

I haven't printed on the decal paper yet.
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Mike,
I have not printed on the decal paper yet either. As you are, I am planning on printing on plain paper to get the correct size first. And yes, I will be upgrading.

Da Graphite Kid