Need some weight

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
newarcher
Pine Head
Pine Head

Need some weight

Post by newarcher »

All right, our car was weighed at the initial checkin at 4.965 so I need .035 ounces to be right at 5 ounces.

I understand that a basic paperclip weighs right at .035 of an ounce so I was thinking of just glueing the PC to the bottom of the car in the back right on the rear fender area.

I didn't modify the car's height at all so I shouldn't have any clearance problems at districts, should I?

Thanks,
New
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Need some weight

Post by M7 Racing »

If you didn't move the slots you should be fine. One thing that works great is lead tape. Go to [censored]'s or any golf pro-shop and they will have some. It is a cheap way to add weight up to the max. I would cut the tape and lay it on top of the car during weigh-in...keep cutting away at the tape until it is exactly at 5oz....then just peel off the backing and stick it on. All you need is the tape and a pair of sissors. This is the easiest way we have been able to fine tune our weight.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

M7 Racing wrote:If you didn't move the slots you should be fine. One thing that works great is lead tape. Go to [censored]'s or any golf pro-shop and they will have some. It is a cheap way to add weight up to the max. I would cut the tape and lay it on top of the car during weigh-in...keep cutting away at the tape until it is exactly at 5oz....then just peel off the backing and stick it on. All you need is the tape and a pair of sissors. This is the easiest way we have been able to fine tune our weight.
We drilled holes in the bottom and put BBs (Tungsten, in this case) in there and secured them with the goo that you use to hang up posters on walls. We were able to add or subtract BBs. They each weighed .03 oz, if I remember correctly. Here's a pic of the stuff I'm talking about. It held through our entire derby and we were able to fine tune it by pulling out or adding small bits of the goo as well.
newarcher
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by newarcher »

Yeah but we are only talking about a fraction of an ounce....can you get the tape cut/torn that easily?

Thanks,
New
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

We use this lead putty. You can buy it at most hobby stores. Or you can buy online at some of the Pinewood Derby vendors. It works great for tweaking the weight
M7 Racing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by M7 Racing »

newarcher wrote:Yeah but we are only talking about a fraction of an ounce....can you get the tape cut/torn that easily?

Thanks,
New
We tweak our weight down to 1/1000th's of an ounce using the tape method.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Lead tape, quick and easy. In fact we keep a bunch at weigh-in table for pack race. If it's fractions we just cut a bit and put it on scale with car. Peel off back stick it in a spot you want and your off !
newarcher
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by newarcher »

Lead tape it is, guys. Thanks.

New
hwsjr
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by hwsjr »

We used some tungsten putty that I got from a fishing store. Works great for fine tuning. Pinch off as much or little as you need.
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

I think the tungsten putty would be the safest. We have used the lead putty but did not realize until last year that it is real lead. If you would lick you fingers after using it could be a health issue.
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

I've seen BBs just tapped right into the wood of a car if you don't mind the slightly obvious bad apearance and minor chance it will drop out...

2 part epoxy will glue just about anything to a car in less than 10 minutes and you can race away with confidence it won't come off.

You could glue on junk mail, loose dental fillings, a clump of big sister's hair, etc.

It works great!

(and for that small an amount of weight just put it somewhere on top unless looks are a problem for you... then glue it to the butt end of the car if you can... if you do put it on the bottom re-check the car for clearance)

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation