Anybody Tried "Dope" Finishes?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Anybody Tried "Dope" Finishes?

Post by RaceFan »

I've been doing a little research on Butyrate dope for balsa and other wood projects (RC Planes, Rockets, etc.) Word on the 'net is that it's a high quality superior finish if you use an airbrush.

Anybody tried, for example, the Aerogloss sanding sealer, color dope, then clearcoat with their airbrush on a PWD car? Image

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXAU31&P=M

If I'm going to invest in an airbrush, I'd like to try the butyrate products. I just thought I'd see what you boys thought of them. Thanks.
Last edited by RaceFan on Wed May 09, 2007 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Anybody Tried "Dope" Finishes?

Post by pwdarchitect »

Never have used this but looks like a laquer type of paint.
The only thing that would trouble me would be the cost per amount of paint.

You can a pre-mixed 2 ounce bottle of metallic base coat HOK paint HERE for $5.95. Rattle Can Duplicolor filler primer is great to work with and since you are covering the entire car with the stuff there is no need for an airbrush. It will last for a few cars. I went to a local Automotive paint supplier and they gave me a QT. of Clear with hardener for $20.
RaceFan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Anybody Tried "Dope" Finishes?

Post by RaceFan »

Oh yeah, this would be for my "Den Leader" adult car. We bought a pretty good paint mask but this is some nasty stuff and I probably wouldn't let my scout use it.

From what I gather, the dope is similar to lacquer paint with the same components as plastic cement.

I guess if I wanted to build the ultimate durable adult car, It'd be worth the trouble.

Just wondering if anybody else has used it...