Lube Breakdown?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Lube Breakdown?

Post by Go Bubba Go »

We had a little difficulty with my son's 2-sided DKL car (see picture below) in a recent league race. Based on the times below (in order of heat run), it appears to us that we had an issue with lube breakdown. Any other thoughts from the board?

First set of runs in seconds (Donkey Kong side up):
3.0213 Red Lane
3.0375 White Lane
3.0396 Blue Lane
3.0533 Red Lane
3.0475 White Lane
3.0757 Blue Lane
Second set of runs in seconds (Luigi side up):
3.0821 Red Lane
3.0766 White Lane
3.0979 Blue Lane
3.1000 Red Lane
3.1327 Blue Lane
3.0933 White Lane

Accounting for the variation between lanes, the times followed a pretty linear increase heat after heat :( (Note that the league board posted some nice graphs of the data for me, I wasn't sure if either they or Randy would want them linked "live" here.)

Some background:

We previously ran my son's 2-sided DKL car in a league race back in May. Just for curiousity, we refitted it with 1 gram wheels, bevel-headed speed axles and lifted one wheel (none of these are allowed in our BSA Council rules) and submitted it for a July race with the same league. (Note that we had to move one of the front wheels back a bit for the wood to be thick enough to allow for a raised axle 'cuz it was pretty thin up front :D)

Interestingly, where the Luigi side was faster with our previous setup in May, Donkey Kong actually ran faster with our current setup in July. Allowing for the lube breakdown issue, we may have nearly eliminated the gap in performance from one side to the other. Looking at our lowest times, it appears we saw about a 0.04-0.05 improvement from our previous setup, but that figure may be understated a little based on our apparent lubrication problem.

In hindsight we were a little over-cautious about messing up the bore on the 1 gram wheels and didn't do a very good job of lubing them up. Just added a little (apparently too little) lube, spun a few times and shipped it off. We will have to relube with our normal process and see if we can't get more stable times as we did previously (hopefully closer to the 3.02 sec than the 3.13 sec :wink: ).

FYI the weight difference between 4 regular BSA wheels and 4 1 gram wheels equates pretty closely to 2 Tungsten cubes and 2 Tungsten beads that can be added back to the body of the car. It was tight, but we managed to squeeze them in.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby