Stretching the rules

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
speedbump
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stretching the rules

Post by speedbump »

Ok, my question is what I consider a "grey area".
We tried this at the district race last year, which was waaayyyy liberal in my opinion...They only used the rules that were stated in the official kits. This left way too much to interpretation. But, anyhow, Since the rules stated "No bushings, bearings, or sleeves", what is the opinion on using aluminum foil? We lined the car body where the wheel hubs would contact the body, with a very small piece of foil and just enough glue to hold it in place. In our thinking, this would provide a very smooth surface for the wheel hub to rub against but yet not be considered a "bushing or washer". Would this even provide a benefit or am I out in left field? Don't know if the inspector did or did not see the foil, but it passed inspection...The piece was no bigger than a 1/4 inch or so, just enough to match the wheel hub area against the body of the car...
Any thoughts?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Stretching the rules

Post by Stan Pope »

speedbump wrote: ... The piece was no bigger than a 1/4 inch or so, just enough to match the wheel hub area against the body of the car...
Any thoughts?
Interesting! Had you covered the whole side with foil (or whatever), I'd not expect any problems at all. Since you reduced the size so dramatically into the general size and shape of a "washer", the inspector could (maybe should) have "raised an eyebrow" and, maybe, the DQ flag! (Do your inspectors have horns to blow and flags to wave to call attention to those who try to circumvent the rules. :) No? Ours don't have 'em either!)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

I'm not sure that I think the foil would provide enough value such that it would be worth risking disqualification. Smooth paint or no paint and rubbed in graphite would probably do just as well, IMHO.

As an inspector, I would probably flag it.
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

I would have flagged it also although I personally don't think it would be an advantage.

BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
speedbump
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by speedbump »

well, Reynolds heavy duty foil was what we used. Seem to work as we had hoped...We were the fastest of the 5 cars we sent to district, so we (me and my boy) were happy :D Long story there....
If I remember, we placed around 16th out of 72 cars, so that was respectable given the fact that we did not interpret the rules like the cars that placed above us did.... I didn't notice till after the races that the top cars were all using extended wheelbases, etc.
Our pack is very strict with the rules, so we were cautious (to an extent) of what we took to district...District uses the rules in the box, so we (the Pack ) assumed that the standard wheelbase and axle slots were to be used... We "attempted" to protest but got the "the rules did not state that extended wheelbases could not be used"....hindsight is usually defined by a lack of foresight (we should have asked I suppose)
Oh well, we still had a good time and will be better prepared for next year :D
Last edited by speedbump on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

speedbump wrote:...Our pack is very strict with the rules, so we were cautious (to an extent) of what we took to district...District uses the rules in the box, so we (the Pack ) assumed that the standard wheelbase and axle slots were to be used... We "attempted" to protest but got the "the rules did not state that extended wheelbases could not be used"....hindsight is usually defined buy a lack of foresight (we should have asked I suppose)
Oh well, we still had a good time and will be better prepared for next year :D
Sounds like your Pack PWD rules / interpretations need to get better aligned with your Districts.

IMO the best way to accomplish this is to have a member on both committees. In my case, I am the PWD Chairman for our Pack this year and also serve on the Council PWD committee. I have been able to learn a lot of other things from the Council folks, but one of the main benefits is to help synch up our rule interpretations at the Pack level with those of the Council inspectors. On the one hand, "too loose" at the Pack level could lead to many DQs at Council. On the other hand, "too strict" at the Pack level could (and it possibly could in your case) leave your Pack's boys at a disadvantage at next level of competition.

IMO if you need to "adjust" your pack rules to better fit the District interpretation, the best way to do that is from the "inside". Ideas and suggestions seem to succeed much more often when they come with help attached i.e. "Can I help us do ___" instead of "You folks should do ___".

My 2 cents.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

This has been a notorious grey area. It has been talked about on the forum many times and I don't recall hearing anyone ever called on it. Others take some glue and pour it around the axle hole with graphite embeded in the glue.

We have thought about doing this for years but have decided the chances it causing problems is not worth the benefit. We have done really well the last 10 years and there are some just looking for a reason to explain why we have done well.