Glue for Axels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
blcrow33
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Glue for Axels

Post by blcrow33 »

Last year my son and I used Epoxy to glue in the axels for his car because we did not want the axels to move in case it got bumped hard or something. The alignment took us a while and we did not want anything to change that. He ended up racing in the pack, district, and council races. It would have been nice to be able to remove the axels to clean or relube them if we needed or there is always that possibility we would have to change the tires or axels if they get damaged and epoxy would make that very difficult. My question is what kind of glue is best to use to hold the axels firmly in place but still be able to take them off if needed and then put them back on?
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Glue for Axels

Post by MaxV »

We have had good luck using plain old Elmer's white glue. Yellow (carpenter's) glue also works.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

MaxV wrote:We have had good luck using plain old Elmer's white glue. Yellow (carpenter's) glue also works.
We have had the same experience as MaxV when we have the need to use glue.

However, we typically don't use any glue as drilling a clean hole using the bit that comes with the Pro Body tool (I believe it is a #44 IIRC) leaves us with a snug fit that holds the axles tightly while allowing them to be removed with some pressure if needed. If we overdrill, we sometimes put a drop of water in the hole to cause the pine to swell, thus restoring the tight fit on the axle. If that does not work, we break out the white glue.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
BigDozer66
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BigDozer66 »

We use Super Glue on ours if they need it at all which they rarely do. :D

BigDozer66
"one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Cubmaster and AWANA Game Director
fireblaz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fireblaz »

My son and i use a hot glue gun
PWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD »

It is pretty rare that we have had to use glue.

Last year we drilled four holes in the car from the bottom where the hole is right at where the nail head would end. We then bought some really small set screws and screwed them in to hold the axle in place.

We had mixed results. The wood is very soft and strips pretty easily.

We have in the past also drilled holes where the axle head would terminate but instead of using a set screw we have poured glue in.
Last edited by PWD on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

We like using a hot glue gun for stock axle slots.

However, rarely is glue used when using the pro alignment tool.

Sometimes a dash of glue is put into the whole. 6 minute epoxy. Just depends if it is raise day or built process also.

Ajustments or passing inspection. Sometimes the wheel is raised jsut enough not all 4 touch. so we sometimes have to fix this.

Sporty