Problem Product?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
colopwdfan
Pine Head
Pine Head

Problem Product?

Post by colopwdfan »

Is it just me?

I tried the BSA Axle Guard product last year on my wife's PWD car. The product simplified the process of installation AND of rotating axles for alignment, so I purchased several packs for this year.

The impetus to use the product was to stay within the letter of the rules (Slots, etc) My wife is Pack Leader and obviously to show the kids (AND the mentors) that despite sophisticated methods available, simple procedures can make winning cars. Do-able by the kids.

The problem- The "taller" flange on the batch of axle guards are too wide. I believe the flange or tongue design is to provide a "STOP" for axle insertion. (The product also was designed to provide pressure to keep axles in place).

I noticed the problem when we installed the axles. Damage to the wood around the slots. And a "bulge" in the Guards when car is upside down.

I simply cut the tallest flange off with snips or cutters to the same height of the "shorter" flange that runs the length of the guards.

I'm not sure if the specs on the product changed or if a manufacturing error occurred OR if I did something different than last year, but I wanted to put out a heads up to other Scouts and PWD car builders.

John
Friends don't let friends drive eBay cars

If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
Thomas Paine

Scouting for All