Info on NyOil

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Alex
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Info on NyOil

Post by Alex »

Many cant use NyOil, but for those of us that can, Whats the general cocensus on it? Better than Hob-E-Lube?
Hi, I live with my Dad in Louisiana. Dad says that God created me to serve Him by helping others. If you need my help just ask.
derbygeek
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Info on NyOil

Post by derbygeek »

What about Nyoil vs Silicone? I remember seeing something on Max Velocity about silicone and Nyoil both being superior to graphite, with silicone the best for the earlier heats (1-10), with Nyoil better for later heats(11+).
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

I used Nyoil this year and like it, I know that this years cars were better than last year's but many other things improved. You MUST do the dry film method for Nyoil though. I tried it "wet" when we tested our track and it's slower. Lube a day or two before and "spin it in" then let it set.
If I couldn't use Nyoil (I help make the rules for our area) I'd be doing graphite or silicone. BTW go to an electrical supply house and get theirs, higher content and longer lasting.
Awana Commander
Jeep Fleet Maintenance Director
Dad
Bowhunter
I can't break the rules, I write them
!
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

asatxj wrote:BTW go to an electrical supply house and get theirs, higher content and longer lasting.
Their Nye Oil or silicone?
Thanks
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

Silicone from an electrical supply is a higher concentration. sorry I didn't clarify that.
BTW I talked to the rep at Nye Lubricants and he said they have a lube with a lower viscosity than Nyoil. Might be interesting to try!!
Awana Commander
Dad
Bowhunter
!
jamesmagill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jamesmagill »

Does anyone have any ideas on relubing between races when using Nye Oil?We glue our axles in place and I don't like the idea of taking it back apart in order to relube.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

jamesmagill wrote:Does anyone have any ideas on relubing between races when using Nye Oil?We glue our axles in place and I don't like the idea of taking it back apart in order to relube.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hello James,

From the data at http://maximum-velocity.com/5107.htm, Nye Oil's performace doesn't noticeably degrade when tested up to 60 heats, so there is no need to relube. If you relube, you have to go through the breaking period all over again so you would only hurt performance.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
dmadman43
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dmadman43 »

Has anyone actually used NyOil II in a PWD race this year with better results than moly/graphite? I've seen the data on maximum-velocity, but frankly I'm a bit skeptical and leary of throwing that out as an option, given my son's results from last year using moly/graphite. didn't lose a single heat in his Pack Race...we don't have districts) The data on NyOil are intriguing, but it appears you only get "one shot" to lube the car. Anyone have any "real word" comparison results?
asatxj
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by asatxj »

I'm an AWANA GP'er and have used graphite for a couple years with top 5 results most of the time. This season I went to Nyoil and one car never lost a heat all the way through our club race and on to regionals. His closest race was about 2 car lenghts. Our other car was a top 5 at regionals due to a slight error on my part (not lube related). I didn't get to record all the times as i was the starter but when I did notice them both cars ran very consistent times. I'm hoping to do an "open class" race in the spring and I'll do one car with graphite vs the other cars to see what we get. I'm fairly sure that Nyoil will be the lub of choice when it's over due to the consistency and good times it gives. Build 2 cars and see which one does best!
Awana Commander
Dad
Bowhunter
!