Handicap drag racing

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Handicap drag racing

Post by ohiofitter »

Would anyone know would it be possible to have handicap drag race...I know one set back would be the if the lanes weren't consistent. But I'm thinking of setting up this type of race.....Each car runs down each lane (Two Lane Track) to get a qualifying time. Then set up a starting device that you would be able to set the difference between cars and have a one run shut out. Just like in the NHRA the fastest car has lane choice....But would any of the software out there be able to handle this type of race.
knavekid
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Handicap drag racing

Post by knavekid »

Handicap racing typically is used to take the equipment out of the equation, leaving the driver ability and consistency as the competition. If a racer exceeds his target elapsed time, he "breaks out" and loses the heat. This prevents racers from "holding back" during qualification to get a better handicap advantage.

For a handicap PWD, the competition would be limited to staging the car and consistency, and even these could be overshadowed by random effects and luck. Taking the equipment out of the equation in PWD pretty much defeats the purpose of PWD.

My difficulty is figuring out a way for the kids to be able to contribute to the outcome of the race, since the build effort has been normalized.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

Thanks knavekid..I drag raced in high school at a track not to far from my house. And thats the way we raced...I was thinking maybe this type of race would great because you could by the all of the after market parts and they would not give you such and advantage. But I think you would be limited to using just 2 lanes. If you had a troop that required more than 4 lanes I think time would not be on your side.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Are you considering this for a kids race or an adult race? To me, this type of race seems too brutal for the kids and would take longer to run. I don't think you will find any software to run it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

It seems like the only thing being tested with this format is consistency. So anything (e.g., lubricants) that breaks in or breaks down over time should be avoided.

Or am I missing something?
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

I was thinking for adult races gp....I think it would take to long for a kids race. As far as the software I wasn't sure if there was any to support this type. I was thinking of making a remote starting gate that you could change easily for the difference of handicaps though. But each car would start it's own timer so you would need 2 computers. I d/loaded your demo and Playing around I see you could set up for three lanes but run 2 cars and the software resets after 10 seconds... This could be used as a den activity between the boys that might wanted to race a certain car
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

ohiofitter wrote:I was thinking for adult races gp....
I have no problem trying to do that for an adult race.
ohiofitter wrote:But each car would start it's own timer so you would need 2 computers.
With two timers, though, then you are dealing with two different timing errors. No two timers are exactly alike, even if from the same manufacturer. Something to consider.
ohiofitter wrote:I d/loaded your demo and Playing around I see you could set up for three lanes but run 2 cars and the software resets after 10 seconds... This could be used as a den activity between the boys that might wanted to race a certain car
The software has no timeout. Though, your timer may have one.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

Gp do you write your own software. I'm thought that it might be able to be done. Could you have a remote start with a delay to record time thru one set of sensors.