District Success

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

District Success

Post by PWD_addict »

We had our District Derby this past Saturday (I chaired it) and it was a rousing success. My Godson took first place overall in the Budweiser Chevy (see http://derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3536&start=30) so I guess I got it fixed. :wink: He took second place in the Wolf rank--read on.
My son took second overall but took first place in the Wolf rank. The winner is determined by the average of the 7 best heats on our 8 lane track. Would you believe that my son and Godson's car had the EXACT SAME average speed of 4.0890s???? The tie breaker was that each had 4 1st places, but my son had 4 second places to Godson's 3 second places.

The track record was shattered 4 times by my son, Godson, and once by another boy in a different Pack. Old track record was 4.1135 (daughter's sibling car--Flower Power). The new track record set by my Godson's car was 4.0674!!!!! That is flying on our rough 45 foot Challenger track. All the cars seemed a little faster this time than in our Pack races. I worked on son's and Godson's cars so expected them to be faster.

So, not only were they tied in times for the Wolf rank, their overall average time for all 16 races was exactly the same as well!!! All I can say is that we did the axle and wheel work identically so that may be the most important part of the car on our track.

I ran my daughter's car (Flower Power) down during a slow time in the races and her car was .08s faster than the track record she set in January. Only difference was the addition of the Max-V-Lube instead of the Tube-o-Lube that I had used the past two years. That wasn't in an official race so it didn't count for the track record but it's .03s faster than the new official one. I did something right with that one--not sure exactly what.

The track setup was a little different (as it is each time) and it was about 15 degrees warmer than in our January races.

There were no rules violation issues--just some over/under -weight issues that were easily rectified. I had a ton of help from the Pack leaders in the District so that was a good thing. GPRM ran flawlessly on my new Vista laptop. Had issues with too much light in the Mall so we had to create a cardboard "tent" over the Judge finish line because the cars weren't tripping the sensors. I registered a boy as a Web 2 but he was a Web 1. Had him on the 3rd place podium when his Mom told me he was a Web 1. We gave the third place award to the next Web 2, let the Web 1 regraphite and run in the Web 1 races. Too bad he didn't place there as the competition was a bit tougher.

5 of the top 7 cars were from our Pack. I guess we take it a little more seriously than other packs. The top 5 cars overall were built by Wolves (son and Godson in that rank) so that was the toughest rank by far.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestion from my friends here on the board. It was invaluable.

Cheers,
Dave