Q-tip shaft diameters

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Q-tip shaft diameters

Post by Jeff Piazza »

For the last two seasons, we've been using Q-tip shafts (that is, with the little cotton balls cut off) for polishing wheel bores (in the style of Doc Jobe,
http://www.pinewoodderbyphysics.com/pdf ... e%2017.pdf) and for burnishing graphite into the bore.

This year, my wife bought a new package of Q-tips, and to my dismay, the shafts no longer fit the BSA wheel bore! Checking with a new caliper, the new Q-tips have a 0.100" diameter shaft, while the Q-tips from last year (still had some) measure 0.095". So I don't think I'm imagining things (I read the bore is 0.096"), and it's not a question of technique.

I went to qtips.com and made an inquiry about what's going on, but they don't really seem to know. (They promised to look into it, but they didn't seem to grasp the distinction between length and diameter, so I'm not expecting too much.)

I bought a box of store brand swabs, but they, too, measure 0.100". (I take this as supporting the theory that all cotton swabs are probably made in the same factory.)

I found a cache of last year's Q-tips, and that got us through this year's season.

Has anyone else observed this change? Any thoughts on where to get a supply of "right-size" Q-tip shafts for next season? Are we about to see a Q-tip black market emerge among PWD racers?

/JEP
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Q-tip shaft diameters

Post by Stan Pope »

You may have to get a lathe to "turn down" your Q-tip shaft diameters! Hey, any old excuse will do! :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I think this is one of the reasons that people on this web site have emphasized getting the paper shaft Q-tips instead of the plastic ones. That way, if they are too large in OD, you can peel them back.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I use charms lolipops and others that I find that fit and will work.

LoL, on the q-tip people really looking into or carrying about the stem.

I bet they rarely even think about that, did you share on what you use them for ? I would bet some legal jumbo and so forth and only intended for ears.

:?:

Sporty
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

We have a 3 week old box of Q-tips and I just measured one in the garage... they measured .096"...

maybe it is regional?

We are in N/Central Alabama (Huntsville)...

where you at?

Try other stores, etc. Try "off brands"... maybe...

last resort is I would have to pick up a handful of new boxes locally and check them... and if .096" I could offer to ship them to you for cost alone...

-Terry
"I dunno..." - Uncle Eddie, Christmas Vacation
galleryvw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by galleryvw »

this is pretty funny cause I always thought you guys were nuts talking about using Qtips for the bores - I've never found a Qtip that comes even close to fitting in the bore of a wheel! - and I've looked around too. Maybe I would have luck with a cheap-o brand or something....
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

galleryvw wrote:this is pretty funny cause I always thought you guys were nuts talking about using Qtips for the bores - I've never found a Qtip that comes even close to fitting in the bore of a wheel! - and I've looked around too. Maybe I would have luck with a cheap-o brand or something....

What do they measure (to the thousandth of an inch) for stalk diameter?

-T
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

Maybe check the generic brand q-tips they might be the same size [censored] old style
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

ohiofitter wrote:Maybe check the generic brand q-tips they might be the same size [censored] old style
I checked out some generics tonight. These were Kroger brand.

The paper shafts on them were also too big to fit in the bore. But the plastic shaft generics fit the bores perfectly.

Randy
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

If they're a bit oversize just and them down! We've actually reused some just sanding them with 320 grit while spinning in the drill press.
Randy and Son
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Randy and Son »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:If they're a bit oversize just sand them down! We've actually reused some just sanding them with 320 grit while spinning in the drill press.
I thought about doing exactly that but then wondered if the shaft would pick up grit from the sandpaper. If it does (even just a little) then I'm using 320 grit on the bore and that's not really where I want to go. :shock:

Randy
woodworx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by woodworx »

Maybe you could shave it with a razor blade as it spins in the drill press
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Randy and Son wrote:
Pinewood Daddy wrote:If they're a bit oversize just sand them down! We've actually reused some just sanding them with 320 grit while spinning in the drill press.
I thought about doing exactly that but then wondered if the shaft would pick up grit from the sandpaper. If it does (even just a little) then I'm using 320 grit on the bore and that's not really where I want to go. :shock:

Randy
Emery paper doesn't shed.
redshift
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by redshift »

What type of fit am I looking for with a q-tip?

Never mind I read the lecture and it is describe well there....My bad. :roll:
Thanks
Teeeman
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Teeeman »

We find few are totally clearance fit but most will slide right on in with some polish on them...

but occasionally we get a wheel with a small bore and none of the Q-tip stalks seem to fit easily...

we tried forceing them and you end up with a less than achieveable bore finish compared to the wheels with a "just right" fit to the Q-tip stalks.

-T