Wheels with drilled holes

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wheels with drilled holes

Post by JackBauer »

I may be crazy, but yesterday I thought I saw a picture of a car with holes drilled in the wheels. Today I can't find it. Maybe I was looking at a different site. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Wheels with drilled holes

Post by sporty »

another class of racing, non really related to bsa cub scouts racing.

But you likely seen wheels with wholes in them, ultralight wheels or super modified wheels.

Sporty
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JackBauer »

I'm pretty sure he stated they were BSA wheels, and that he drilled holes to drop the weight.
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JackBauer »

OK, finally...

The search here wasn't quite as helpful, so I google searched this site specifically, and I found it: viewtopic.php?t=2805&sid=ea116ad0769b49 ... f723f4ec20

Thanks!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I was trying to convey, not a bsa race.

That pack must have some sort of open class or very loose rules.

That would be a rare example of wheels allowed to race at pack level or district / council.

There our other leagues, that use bsa kits, I have seen wheels so thin and so much removed, I thought I was seing a round piece of string with a nail through it.

Sporty :roll:
sdupont1
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by sdupont1 »

Same in our case, our rules clearly state that the BSA markings must be intact inside of the wheel along with mold number. The drilled holes although look cool might be against your rules. If I would have done this, the markings would have been tampered with. I would check your rules before proceeding.
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JackBauer »

Our only rules regarding anything is that it must be official BSA, and of course, 5oz.
sdupont1
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by sdupont1 »

Can you modify the tread surface and inner wheel (lightened wheels). if so search pinewood derby speed wheels and look at the 1.0 gram wheels. They have the BSA marings on the outside but lots of material removed on the inner. The lighter wheel will spin up faster thus giving you a jump start on the competition. Check them out.
JackBauer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JackBauer »

OK, I should further clarify my earlier comment about official BSA. I think I meant to say it needs to be originally unmodified. Any mods need to be done by us, not purchased.
sdupont1
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by sdupont1 »

Totally with you, you should do the work as should others. This was mearly a guideline to go by to give you ideas.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TAL »

Personnally I like simple rules too!!!
BSA wheels and axles from the kit must be used and I like something like all BSA lettering must remain in tact on the outside of the wheels and nothing can be added to the wheels or axles except for lubrication purposes.

That way it does give kids that like experimenting the outlet to engineer and form their own wheels and axles and it also allows for more of the wheel molds to to be formed to competitive standards with simple sandpaper and a drill. That's right do what you want with the tread and the inside of the wheels and axles ,You just can't add anything to the wheel or axles (lubrication only).

Any other rules that contain wording that leads to specialty tools and purchased wheels is simply to me a Monetary propaganda.