I need help painting my pinewood car

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
digger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I need help painting my pinewood car

Post by digger »

I am trying to do a pearl paint job on my pwd car. do I wet sand every coat or just the color coat. and do I sand any of the clear coats!!!
cubdad
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: I need help painting my pinewood car

Post by cubdad »

Here is one way fyi: Finish the bare wood car with 200 grit. Fill in with body putty and sand again till smooth with 320 then with 600 (many skip the 600, but the car is small so why not?). Then rub with a tack cloth to remove micro dust and lint.

Then prime with a white wood primer or a white wood sealer primer. Then add 2 -3 additional light but wet coats of the primer or basecoat. These can be 10 to 30 minutes apart. The can will give you this time.

Then let dry for a day in a dark, dust, lint, and humidity free place.

Sand with 600 then 1200-1500. Then rub with a tack cloth to remove dust and lint.

Now apply the pearl paint, usually, thorough shaking, 5-10 minutes between light but wet coats. No sanding unless you have runs. (Note some pearls have a 2 or 3 spray application kit, then these directions don't apply) .

Next clearcoat after 30-40 minutes, 2-6 coats, 10-12 minutes apart. Then wait 2 days, with car in a dark, 60-80 degree environment, clean air: no lint or sawdust or vacuuming nearby.

After 2 days, you can compound to shine. This will be slower than wet sanding, but the car is small and what’s the hurry? Do not wax for 2-3 months.

I feel I get better performance if I place the cans in 80-100 degree water for 30 minutes before use. Just make sure to dry the outside of the can thouroughly before it drips on your work. Also use the same brand and product line for sealer, paint and topcoat so you don't have to keep track of compatibility.

I also like the Alsa Killer Kans. http://www.alsacorp.com/killercans.htm .

My 7 year old can do the work, he just has problems waiting and seeing dust, lint and orange peel. (Actually, I have the problem wherein I see dust, lint and orange peel everywhere :roll: so its a growth experience for both of us).

The result however will be way way way better than any other car at the pack level and there will be grumbling from at least one or two parents. Last year I had the kids paint their cars with brushes from that metallic paint kit you can get at Michaels. Looks like a kid did it, takes less than an hour, no grumbling.
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: I need help painting my pinewood car

Post by millettbbc »

The brother who replied just above me has some good advice for a killer paint finish however you will have to be mighty patient... which I'm not. I have never done a pearl coat but have done various glitters and in credible gloss finishes. There is no need to wet sand your paint between coats for a derby car, but definitely sand the primer with very fine paper (600-800) at least. Add your paint. Then, the best clear coat I have found to give it an extra shiny look is the "Dupli-Color" Clear Acrylic Spray Paint. If you have Meijer stores where you are you can get a can for about $5 in the automotive spray paint area. I have used other clear coats that just don't add up. Last year the lady working the registration table almost wouldn't let me enter my car, her comment was, "but it's not wood". That was all it took for me to be hooked on a good paint job. After she actually touched it and called her husband over she realized it was indeed wood. The paint will make or break the appearance.
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.