To lead or not to lead? How about epoxy?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

To lead or not to lead? How about epoxy?

Post by Stan Pope »

From time to time I receive inquiries about and warnings against use of lead in PWD cars. Does anyone know the real scoop about lead?

In working with scouts, I provide them with lead in the form of 1 ounce slugs (3/8" in diameter and about an inch long). I show them how to beat the slug with a hammer to make it into the needed shape. I believe that this eliminates the vast majority of the risk, but I don't know for sure. So, I put it to the wisdom of the group.

In some car designs 5-minute epoxy does a good job of holding the lead in and filling gaps and cracks. What are the risks with epoxy?

I am particularly interested in pediatric considerations ... At my age, long term effects are no longer a factor for me. :)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: To lead or not to lead? How about epoxy?

Post by gpraceman »

We have used lead, from time to time, since I can get a 6 oz pack of lead strip weights, used in RC airplanes, for the price of a 2 oz pack of non-lead weights at our local hobby store. They are nice in that they are easy to cut, have adhesive tape on one side and are marked in 0.25 ounce increments.

I always caution parents that if they use lead, it should be fully encased inside the car and that after handling it they should immediately wash their hands. Also, I do not recommend people try to melt lead since the fumes are toxic.

As for the actual risk, I'm not fully sure, but it is supposed to be more harmful to children since they are still growing. That is the reason, I believe, that lead-based paint was banned, with kids being exposed to the paint chips.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Well, since I sell lead I have researched the topic a bit.

Lead poisoning comes from ingesting lead, through the mouth, the nose, or otherwise. When you read about lead poisoning, 99.9% of the time it is from lead in the drinking water, or kids eating paint chips.

According to my doctor, you cannot get lead poisoning from casual skin contact with lead. However, he (and I) caution that you should always wash your hands thoroughly after handling lead.

One other point before I list my lead safety rules - when inserting lead into a car, make sure it is embedded far enough so that when the wood is sanded, the lead is NOT sanded. Breathing lead dust is not good. Also, lead dust settles into the floor of your work area where it can be picked up by unsuspecting people.

So, here are my lead handling rules:

• Do not place lead in your mouth
• Do not place your hands in your mouth after handling lead
• Wash your hands with soap and water after handling lead
• Do not use lead around food and food preparation areas
• Do not melt or sand lead
• Reuse or recycle any remaining lead - do not throw it in the trash

Regarding epoxy, I believe the only risk would be the fumes - which are very minor. So I think as long as you use it in a ventilated area, and don't stick your face in it, it should be just as safe as any other life activity (eating, drinking, breathing!).
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

MaxV wrote:Regarding epoxy, I believe the only risk would be the fumes - which are very minor. So I think as long as you use it in a ventilated area, and don't stick your face in it, it should be just as safe as any other life activity (eating, drinking, breathing!).
Thanks, Randy.

I've heard passing references to the possibility of causing alergic reactions or sensitizing to future alergic reactions. Since it is one of my favorite car building adhesives, I'd like to know.

What is the chemical basis of Bond-O? Isn't it similar to epoxy in how it acts?
Stan
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

BONDO IS ONE OF MY FAVRITE MATERALS TO WORK WITH.IT IS MADE OF THE SAME MATERALS AS EPOXY.JUST IN DIFFERENT PROPORTIONS & COLOR.IT ALSO SMELLS WORSE.PROPER VENTILATION WHEN APPLING AND SANDING IS A MUST.A DUST MASK WOULD N'T HURT EATHER.THE FEUMES CAN CAUSE DIZYNESS NAUSA AND DEPRESTION WITH OVER EXPOSER.THE STUFF IS CHEEP TO. ONE SMALL CAN IS LIKE $7.SO DON'T WORY ABOUT WASTING SOME. IT DOSE TAKE SOME EXPERMENTATION TO GET THE RIGHT BALENCE OF HARDENER TO BONDO BUT FOR SMALL JOBS A LITTLE DAB WILL DO YA.
BONDO SPOT GLAZING PUDDY IS ASO GOOD FOR SMALL STUFF AND NOT AS STINKY.BUT IT TAKES LONGER TO DRY.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Thanks for the Bond-O info, Speedbuggy. I guessed that it might be less appropriate for use by youngsters. I think that I'll stay with "5-minute Epoxy" ... it matches my attention span!
Stan