Pro Body Tool

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Mike Ganoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pro Body Tool

Post by Mike Ganoe »

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to start building the new cars for this year. I had a
question concerning the Pro Body Tool. Do you recommend using
it on the axle slots already cut OR should I use it to drill new
axle holes. What are the disadvantages/advantages of either?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Pro Body Tool

Post by sporty »

Mike,

I have done both ways. but i really feel it's easier and better for alignment to just drill new wholes. If you must use the stock location. Then I would fill the wholes up with wood filler and re-drill once the filler has dried.

If you don't do this, alignment and getting the axles to be in the whole properly still becomes a huge alignment issue.

Sporty
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

We have to use the unaltered original slots. So I added a pin in the ProBody tool that slips into the slot so you can drill the holes in the center of the slots.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

We are allowed to drill new holes as long as we use the stock wheel base...Out of about 15 kits we've done over the last 6 years we found 1 kit that was so far out of square we bought the pro body tool..............So if your allowed to square up your axles just flip the car over and re-drill
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

We're obliged to use the slots, but can fill them. We use five-minute epoxy, which works well, with these two caveats:

1. It's necessary to clamp wax paper on both sides of the block, otherwise the epoxy will flow out the sides of the slot, just where it's most needed.

2. The packaging on five-minute epoxy claims it's cured overnight, but our observation is that the center is still a thick, drill-bit-eating taffy after 24 hours. A 48-hour cure time seems to work well.