Gap Preformance Sweet Spot

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Gap Preformance Sweet Spot

Post by Rod Turnbull »

I like to read all the articles on going fast but I really like to build cars that look like cars (just a quirk of mine)... PROBLEM: Most of my cars have very little clearance between the fender and the wheels which push my axels to the very bottom of the groove cut in the block and some times I need to add a small strip of wood below that. The standard nail/axle does not keep an accurate gap when pushed into this questionable location. SOLUTION: Thread the end that sticks in the block.

It's odd that I have not seen this done before... and there was some trial and error on my part. One thing I noticed is that there is definitely a sweet spot as far as gap goes. People keep asking what is the best gap... and with a system like this you can fine tune it to your cars needs and it stays where you put it. Some wheels ran better with a little more gap and some with a little less. I don't think we can set a perfect gap with just a single measured unit, whether it be a business card or a gauge made for the purpose.

I must admit this started out as a look cool project as I was trying to build working knockoffs for my Can-Am race car... Thought you speed freaks might like to play with the idea. Even if it is just to test the gap, measure the best setting with a feeler gauge and then replace it with a standard nail/axle and set to the same gap... we might be on to something here.

Photo Link: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DQ ... directlink