Buffing Wheels & Stick Polishing Rouge

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Buffing Wheels & Stick Polishing Rouge

Post by Stephen's Dad »

I have been known to polish metals with stick type polishing rouge & other metal cutting compunds. In particular I have liked the Dico products line. With care & the correct grade cutting compound you can bring any metal up to a mirror like luster if that's the surface you're after. Do we want a mirror finish? Or is that counter productive? Cylinder walls of engines are supposed to have a certain texture to them else the oil plows off the cylinder causing more drag.

http://www.dicoproducts.com/buff_instructs.html

This isn't meant to be a commercial endorsement. But with all the different axle treatments i've read about here, I'm wondering what the Pineheads think of this technique. I haven't tried it on a nail yet. We have til March 30th for my son's first derby. I will at least try a set & compare this to other types of nail treatment.

I've learned that coatings & non-BSA axles are illegal in our race as are liquid lubes. So polishing & dry lubes are our only options.

My questions are; Has anyone else tried this method of polishing yet? And is a mirror like finish desirable or is some "texture" better for holding onto the graphite?

Thanks,

Steve the elder