Axle Bending

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
10range
Pine Head
Pine Head

Axle Bending

Post by 10range »

I am planning on bending the front axle on my next car. We use the Awana axles and I am a bit confused about how the kit would work for this. The axle press says that it will not work with the Awana axles but the RR tool says it requires the press. Am I missing something on this?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Axle Bending

Post by sporty »

10range wrote:I am planning on bending the front axle on my next car. We use the Awana axles and I am a bit confused about how the kit would work for this. The axle press says that it will not work with the Awana axles but the RR tool says it requires the press. Am I missing something on this?
The RR tool requires the axle press to be able to complete the bend.

both tools are required to complete the bend.

Note: The Pro-Axle Press was designed and tested for use on BSA and PineCar nail-type axles. It may also be suitable for nail axles from other kits. The press is not intended for use with rod-type (Awana) or screw-type (Royal Rangers) axles.

The Pro-Rail Rider Tool is intended for axles measuring approximently 0.087, which include BSA axles, and MV Speed Axles. The tool will work on larger axles, such as those offered by Awana and PineCar, however the angle will be slightly less than 1.5 or 2.5 degrees

so the good news is that the RR tool could be used for awana axles. But the axle press is not intended for the awana Rod-type axles.

You certainly might try it, even though it appears not intended for the awana axles.

Sporty
Last edited by sporty on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

10range wrote:I am planning on bending the front axle on my next car. We use the Awana axles and I am a bit confused about how the kit would work for this. The axle press says that it will not work with the Awana axles but the RR tool says it requires the press. Am I missing something on this?
As Sporty pointed out, if you wish to bend the Awana axles with the RR tool, you will then need to use the Pro Axle Press. You just don't need to use the Pro Axle Press on the Awana axles to straighten them, as they come straight.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
OneHour
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by OneHour »

Randy, RacerX, et. al.,

My apologies to 10orange for "hijacking the thread." It fits well with the subject!

I have a problem that I can't seem to solve. Last year and for many years, I have gone from 4-wheel on the floor to 3 running straight to railriding last year. I have never had the car doing the wiggle, the shimmy, or the ramalama ding-dong. This year, I tried out the Protool RR to cant the front wheel 1.5 and 2.5 for the back wheels. Went through the video to align (very excellent video if I may add). One of the cars is doing the shimmy and wiggle. I tried toe-in the back, toeing-out, nothing helps. If I toe-in, then I have to change the front steering drastically, because apparently the back wheels are steering (not good). Rolling forward, the back wheels ride out on the axle heads. Rolling backward, I can never get it to ride out to the axle heads no matter which way I turn the axles. I noticed that when it shimmy the dead front wheel gets hit! The dom wheel is steering (at first) 1" to 4', but as I tried to hard steer the front ... it still bounces to the dead wheel or really scrub the dom wheel to the rail ... slowing down the car drastically. btw, wheels are balanced (from what I can observed).

What am I doing wrong?
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Try switching out the front wheel with the wheel that is causing the steering and re-test. Sometimes, there is a bit of a difference in bore friction between the 2 rear wheels that will show up as a wiggle.

Since you did not mention what process you used to prep the wheels then i would suspect that one of the rear wheels is where your problem is.

I usually try to align the rear wheels prior to steering the car into the rail. It is a back and forth process to alignment. Once you adjust for steering then you might have to adjust the rear wheels such that they stay off the rail and out at the axle head.

Gradually turning the axles a hairline will effect the car in some way or another because of the bend.