Alignment with canted wheels

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
rlaton
Pine Head
Pine Head

Alignment with canted wheels

Post by rlaton »

With zero cant wheels, I want my axles to stay in the center of the space between the axle head and the body of the car. This happens both going forwards and backwards. If you pull the wheels out to the nail head, they are supposed to stay out. If you push them in to the body, they should stay in. Again, this should happen when running the car both forwards and backwards. I understand this and actually have been able to make this happen. But....

With canted wheels, won't my wheels run out to the axle head no matter what? If I pull them in to the body, won't they come out? If I start then out on the axle head, won't they stay out? How will I know that I am lined up correctly? I guess you just throw out the theory of axles sitting still and just try to ensure that the car never moves out of a perfectly straight line? Do I just make sure that the wheels go to the axle head in both directions and that the back wheels or the front wheels don't steer the car at ALL? Then go back and adjust for rail riding? I have heard you guys say that it is much harder to align a car with canted wheels (And I'm sure that it is) but this sound much easier and much less precise. What am I missing here? We haven't even started on the car yet but I want to know what my game plan is before I get started. All help is appreciated.