Bore prep

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
roosclan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Bore prep

Post by roosclan »

sporty wrote:While we wait for the beta testers to post there info.

i wanted to add, that I have gone to a little bigger rod. That I feel does a better job. I was able to do some wheels this weekend and I have not tested them yet.

But visually I can tell they are a little better than the other ones.

Sporty
What size rod did you use? I am planning on using the 3M WetOrDry polishing paper (the colored ones) in 9, 3, and 1 micron on the rod, but I don't know what dia. rod to get with these papers, as they are thinner than the Micromesh.
Tempus fugit. Frater, memento mori.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Well I am currently using .055 rod.

The wet dry / diamon lapping sand paper. can not handle the drill press speeds. so that would have to be done buy hand, you mighe get lucky at using the drill press. I did not.

100 rpm would be the most i would use for the diamon lapping sand paper.

you might try .060 for that thin diamon lapping sand paper.

Sporty
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Sporty - I am really excited to see this new process. Last year I attempted the MicroGloss/Q-tip shaft method and damaged the bore similiar to what Jeff documented. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I had my son leave his bores alone - figuring if I couldn't get it correct, I wouldn't expect my Tiger scout to.

Anyway - this year I would like to try your process. I am going to order 4000,6000,8000 and 12000 grit adhesive backed sheets. I see you are currently using 0.055 carbon fiber rod. Does this seem to be the best size for the micromesh sheets? What is a good, cost-effective, source for the rods?

I plan to use just the micromesh as you detail - and NO polish. Any other considerations for bore prep? I think my son would be able to complete this process with no issues. Last year he fully prepped and polished the axles as well as the wheel surface on the drill press. I have some other questions on prepping the "new" wheels but will start a new post.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yes my kids can do it with ease. dad does the rods, the kids do the prep.

you can find the rods, by doing a search on e-bay or any serach engine. .055 carbon rod.

I do not have access right now for the links, i can get them later though.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

This is one place for the 0.055 rod. Low cost material, but shipping costs more.
http://rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=produ ... gory_id=95
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Sporty - how much micromesh do you reccomend? I have four cars to do. Do you think a 3" x 6" sheet of each (4000,6000,8000 and 12000 grit) be enough? In the video I see you are only using 1/4" strip each time. Does a strip last for multiple wheels or do you replace after each wheel?

Thanks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

That small piece, is able to get allot of strips for the bore rods.

i do not recommend attempting more than 4 wheels per rod. Best results are one prep rod per wheel. but doing 4 wheels turns still very good results.

Sporty
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Thanks Sporty - and if you come across the links to the carbon rod supplier - please inform.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

Hobby Lobby sells 1.3mm (.051) x 1000mm, 5 pack.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/carbon_fiber ... 0_prd1.htm
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Quadad posted the link.

I have gone to the .055. I was not happy with the .050, but it still does a good job, also .052 does well also.

Sporty
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Thanks all - I ordered 8 lengths of the 0.055. (yes eight is way more than needed by at the cost / shipping - it seemed more cost effective - now I'll have plenty for the scouts of the future).

Tomorrow I'll order the adhesive backed micromesh.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Ordered the 3" x 6" sheets each of 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 grade ADHESIVE backed Micro-Mesh - REGULAR. - 3 sheets of each. yes, more than I will need but again - seemed like a very high shipping cost especially considering the package size for (12) 3" x 6" sheets. I will have enough for future scouts for sure.
justenough
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by justenough »

5Js' statement that he ordered the REGULAR micro mesh, as opposed to the aluminum oxide or the one designed for metals, made me wonder (1) are the results folks on here reporting done with the regular micro mesh (I would assume that is the right choice for plastic) and (2) are the folks who are also using micro mesh for their axles using one of the versions designed for harder materials?

Let me also add to the kudos for Sporty for sharing this process to begin with and to the others for helping and reporting on it. I'm a relative novice who has learned much from the posts here and elsewhere on the board, and I have to say that the posts on this topic -- with their detail as to methods, results and even where to buy, and the video posted by Sporty -- they really set the standard for informative and easy to follow (and selfless) advice Thanks much to all of you, most of all Sporty.
woodworx
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by woodworx »

I must also send kudos to Sporty to develop in my mind the biggest break through in pinewood derby since the rail rider concept. To do make this available to all so humbly and honestly with no thought of personal gain. Actually sending out several test kits at his cost is exactly the kind of integrity and sportsmanship that i think has been forgotten .