It's that time of year again!

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

It's that time of year again!

Post by Turbo_Python »

Hope everyone is ready! I took last year's car design/model and cut it down a bit more on the new kit. Reshaped the profile a bit. But the the most unique characteristic is the direct poured lead into the body. This worked perfectly. Had some minor burning, but it was very minimal. I calculated the cavities better than I relaized and only needed to pull a small portion back out. I'm saving that area for weight adjustments on race day.
"I wanted to devise a wholesome, constructive activity that would foster a closer father-son relationship and
promote craftsmanship and good sportsmanship through competition."
Don Murphy, 1953 (Founder of PWD)
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: It's that time of year again!

Post by Darin McGrew »

Yep. We kicked off our derby season by handing out the kits Wednesday night. Tomorrow morning is our first Saturday workshop.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Hey guys, when are your PWD's being held. Our PWD is a week from tomorrow. We got our PWD kits in November before Thanksgiving.

John
azgreg
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by azgreg »

Ours isn't untill March and the rules are not available yet.
Curse You Red Baron!
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Curse You Red Baron! »

Ours is a week from tomorrow; early check in on Wednesday. We got our kits mid-December. I could have used another week, but I also lost a weekend to work and spent another with the in-laws, so really we could have used more time. My boys both had complexities in their designs, and that was a ton of work just figuring out how to do some of the crazy stuff they wanted. Had to scale them back a bit. So now I have to go full-tilt on wheel and axle prep this weekend, hoping to do alignment on Sunday. Best of luck to all you racers!

P.S. Rust O Leum Painter's Touch Metallic Paints dry sloooooowwwwwlllllllyyyyyy....
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

My sons is next saturday.

Sporty
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Registration is Wednesday, January 27. The derby itself is Saturday, January 30.
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

We got the kit in December. The race is the end of March. I'll be holding workshops in my garage every Saturday in February.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

Pinewood Daddy wrote:We got the kit in December. The race is the end of March. I'll be holding workshops in my garage every Saturday in February.
That's pretty close to our schedule as well, except Kits are being handed out on January 25th. I hold two workshops in February (6th and 20th) and one in March (on the 6th). Race day is March 13th.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Turbo_Python »

We got our kits about 10 days ago I think. Race day is the 30th. We kept last years design but it's way more cut down. Hopefully FASTER! I'll post pics after race day.
"I wanted to devise a wholesome, constructive activity that would foster a closer father-son relationship and
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Turbo_Python wrote:Race day is the 30th. We kept last years design but it's way more cut down. Hopefully FASTER! I'll post pics after race day.
So how did you make out this year, TP?
Turbo_Python
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Turbo_Python »

FatSebastian wrote:
Turbo_Python wrote:Race day is the 30th. We kept last years design but it's way more cut down. Hopefully FASTER! I'll post pics after race day.
So how did you make out this year, TP?
Wow. Been a long time since I was in here. To answer that question- 3rd place + a ribbon for the paint job.