I'm starting to think I'm in over my head.

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
firsttimederbymom
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm starting to think I'm in over my head.

Post by firsttimederbymom »

I've been reading and reading on here and I must say most of the topics seem to be over my head. I'm attempting to build a car with my tiger scout son for the first time. As a first timer what are the top ten things I need to know to help my son build a competitive car. I know the time spent together is the most important thing but I admit I'd like to prove to the dad's that single moms can build cars too. :D
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: I'm starting to think I'm in over my head.

Post by FatSebastian »

firsttimederbymom wrote:As a first timer what are the top ten things I need to know to help my son build a competitive car.
FTDM, might I suggest you look at a PWD tip book to get started? That's what we did when we were starting out, and it was extremely helpful at advancing our understanding. Most books tend to be well organized, aimed at beginners, and work from the basics up. A good choice will illustrations IMO is Pinewood Derby Speed Secrets. It is available from most BSA supply shops, craft stores and hobby shops that deal in PWD supplies. I'm sure others have their favorite resources they can recommend to bootstrap a newcomer...

:welcome:
firsttimederbymom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks FS I just ordered a copy from Amazon second day shipping. I can't wait to start reading it.

I truely appreciate any and all suggestions.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

firsttimederbymom wrote:Thanks FS I just ordered a copy from Amazon second day shipping. I can't wait to start reading it.
That will get you started. Though, do make sure that any of the tips that you follow (in that book or anywhere else) are allowed by your rules. If you have any questions on anything, let us know. The members here would be glad to help.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
pwdjay
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by pwdjay »

FTDM, might I suggest you look at a PWD tip book to get started? That's what we did when we were starting out, and it was extremely helpful at advancing our understanding. Most books tend to be well organized, aimed at beginners, and work from the basics up. A good choice will illustrations IMO is Pinewood Derby Speed Secrets. It is available from most BSA supply shops, craft stores and hobby shops that deal in PWD supplies. I'm sure others have their favorite resources they can recommend to bootstrap a newcomer
I totally agree. You can take the different ideas and apply the ones you are able to do with the tools and ability you have. Good wheel and axle prep is a start.
firsttimederbymom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

After the research I've done I'm thinking of doing a simple wedge design. I think it would be relatively easy to do. I don't have a huge amount of tools so simple is good.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Also, don't worry about the discussion that seems "over the top" to you. Some of the topics discussed around here are about how to get the last 1% performance out of a car that is otherwise 99% perfect. Until you've got everything else 99% perfect, spending time on that last 1% doesn't make sense.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

Can you post your rules?

You are going to be fine... :D :D :D
W Racing!!!!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Mom,

You are more than welcome to call me or contact me and I will help you and try and explain everything the best I can for you.

Pm me for my phone number.

Sporty
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by dna1990 »

Top Ten? Nah, don't over-analyze it. Here is a top two:

Have some fun. Get something to roll down the track...with a possible repeat on #1.

Allow Tigers to see/do/learn/improve.
firsttimederbymom
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm truely blown away by how nice you guys have been. I'm sure my son and I will have a great time reguardless of the outcome.

I have a question a friend of mine has access to professional kilns would it help any to have him put the wood in the kiln? I've saw a couple places that advertise this.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

firsttimederbymom,

As Darin mentioned above, some of the things you'll see some of us, ummmm, "enthusiastic" racers talk about are really that last 1%. Drying out the wood is one of those things that approaches 1/10th of that 1%. (the theory being that you get to choose where to put that last tenth of a gram instead of the moisture being in the wood!)

The tips book is a good place to start. Even that can be a little confusing. One BIG word of caution: a lot of things listed in the tips books are NOT leagal in most races! We put together a pretty straightforward presentation on how to make a car go faster for our pack this year. If you want to PM me, I'll send you a copy, (powerpoint).

You've already done the first step, that is, you've picked a pretty straightforward design. Just as a reference, in order of importance as to impact on speed and performance for the car, (so you know where to start!)

1. Axle preparation
2. Wheel preparation (if you have the new style wheels, this moves to next to last!!!)
3. Wheel alignment
4. Weight placement
5. Aerodynamics

Believe it or not, it really is that simple. Following that work plan will get you ahead of 99% of the pack!

3CubDad
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

firsttimederbymom wrote:I have a question a friend of mine has access to professional kilns would it help any to have him put the wood in the kiln? I've saw a couple places that advertise this.
There have been discussions here about drying out the block (in a kiln, or in a home oven), but I can't seem to find them at the moment. IIRC, the conclusion was that it isn't helpful. The executive summary is:
  • It's easier to lighten the block by removing wood.
  • The top cars have so little wood that drying it doesn't reduce the weight significantly.
  • As the car reabsorbs moisture from the air, the wood warps, throwing off the car's alignment. (And alignment is a big part of the 99% that you should have perfect before you worry about the 1% techniques.)
firsttimederbymom
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gotcha, the basic construction is the most important thing. I'll worry about that first. :D

As for the rules I believe they are what's in the box. I email the scout master to confirm this and I'll let you guys know if I find out differently.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

3 Cub Dad wrote:1. Axle preparation
2. Wheel preparation (if you have the new style wheels, this moves to next to last!!!)
3. Wheel alignment
4. Weight placement
5. Aerodynamics
When I give our annual "derby kick-off presentation", I offer only 3 speed tips: wheel alignment, axle polishing, and axle lubrication.

Our wheels don't really need any prep, unless you're going for the last 1%. That may not be the case for everyone though. Our old wheels had a sprue peg on the edge that touches the guide rail. Everyone had to remove the pegs and then sand the wheels smooth where the pegs used to be.

I'd mention weight placement if I had more time. But wheels and axles are more important, and it's harder to explain weight placement. Although I like the demonstration using balls rolling down the track, one of which gets a "head start". I may try to use that in the future.

And aerodynamics is a 1% issue for most people. Unless you're building something big and bulky like a model of a fully rigged frigate, most cars are going to have a reasonably small cross section, and aerodynamics will be a minor effect. And once you get to a thin rail design where the cross section of the wheels dominates, you're clearly in 1% territory.