- Stan Pope
- Pine Head Legend
- Posts: 6888
- Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:01 pm
- Location: Morton, Illinois
Anyway, I slipped in and took some measurements. Wheels and axles used in the weight distribution measurements were "unworked" (the nail point shoulders were beaten out since I didn't want to damage the cars by using "fat shouldered nails."
Here are the notes that I took:
I only sketched and measured Andrew's car body ... Alex's wheel base was just a bit longer which accounts for the lighter weight.
My plan is to use this information to plug into the computation tools at http://www.stanpope.net/cmcomput.htm to see if I can do a better job of predicting where the ballast should go. Then compare that against what we find with the usual method in which "ballast arranged on an index card on the car body while we watch scale readings."
Hopefully, we can set the car up at 4.5 OZ and leave 0.5 OZ to move about and give us the ability to adjust the weight distribution anywhere between 4:1 and 9:1, choosing the most effective location from on-track tests.
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"