PinePro Axle Alignment Jig

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

PinePro Axle Alignment Jig

Post by gpraceman »

Looks like PinePro has also come out with a new axle alignment jig. Has a drill guide hole like the Pro Body tool. The allen head screws adjust camber.

I could have sworn that I saw something like this last season, but not from PinePro. Maybe they are acting as the distributor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pine-Pro-Adjustable ... 35a72c03af

As others have indicated, it is nice to have a variety of different ways (and price ranges) to get better alignment than just eyeballing it. Each, of course, has its own set of pros and cons.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: PinePro Axle Alignment Jig

Post by Kenny »

It's inspiring to see how others try to solve problems. It'll be interesting to her how this tool works for Scouts and how durable it is.

I am assuming it's not hardened steel.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Kenny wrote:I am assuming it's not hardened steel.
According to this eBay listing, it is aluminum.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by AlabamaDan »

Hmmmm.....
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I don't see anywhere where there is a description of how to use this jig. I believe that you are to clamp this to a flat table and then hold (or clamp) the block to the back side.
Randy Lisano

GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

gpraceman wrote:
Kenny wrote:I am assuming it's not hardened steel.
According to this eBay listing, it is aluminum.
For ~16 USD, aluminum. For ~160 USD, A2 steel. But then, you'd never have to replace it, and all your friends could use it.
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

Same seller's regular retail site carries it for slightly less at http://www.myatomic.com/catalog/viewsku ... e_axle_jig. Googling on PPR10210 find other sources, too.
john4840
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by john4840 »

Here is another site that has it even cheaper. http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/ppr/ppr10210.htm

John
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I do wonder how much flex the aluminum has. If you use the set screws for getting the desired camber and then clamp in the middle, any flex might take the holes out of parallel. Though, I guess you just shouldn't go gorilla on clamping it down anyways.

Price is very affordable. Trying to measure the amount of camber might be a challenge for many, unless in the instructions (I would assume it comes with some) it gives a means to easily measure that (maybe different size drill bits set under the raised end).
Randy Lisano

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I seen this on e-bay over the last several months.

i had contacted different sellers of the tool for some questions.

mostly the questions were about adjustable wheel bases.

I recall one time they reffered me to pine pro.

The price is reasonable, I did not end up getting it, As I was worried it might be to hard for me to drill a good whole free hand. I think this tool you drill from the side.

I like using my my drill press. but Then I had thought about a fence method and clamp to try using it on the side.

I would not be surprised if revell comes out with a tool also.

Who would have thought a few years ago, that RR would become the rave of pinewood derby.

Allot of tools out there is good for everyone in this sport. more options and prefences for different kinds of people.

If someone has one or gots one, I would enjoy pictures of video of them using it.

Sporty
sarge
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by sarge »

If it butts up against the block then your hole is only as strait as your block.Then you have to move it to the other side.
You might as well use a drill press and trough a drill bit under the corner of the block.
The end result will be the same.Do they make perfect pinewood blocks?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sarge wrote:You might as well use a drill press and trough a drill bit under the corner of the block.
The end result will be the same.
Likely so. However, this appears to be geared towards the multitude of racers that do not have access to a drill press. Thus, like the Pro Body tool, it fits that niche.
Randy Lisano

sarge
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by sarge »

I think I would rather use the pro body tool and run strait than try to make that thing work.
And save a few bucks.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sarge wrote:I think I would rather use the pro body tool and run strait than try to make that thing work.
And save a few bucks.
Like I wrote earlier. All of these alignment tools have their pros and cons. Some will appeal to some buyers and not to others.

Any comparison between tools can be posted to This Thread. Let's leave this thread to be more about the pros and cons of this particular tool.
Randy Lisano

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hello, all! This is my first post (reply) on Derby Talk. This particular axle drill jig that you're talking about was made by Superior Tool. Their website is http://www.superior-tool.com" target="_blank
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?