An Alternative Rail Guiding Alignment Process

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: An Alternative Rail Guiding Alignment Process

Post by Stan Pope »

Darin McGrew wrote: Ah, there the videos are! I was looking for a still image with a "play" icon on it. I wasn't looking for a normal link.
I need to check my hosting service to see if it can "serve" video like youtube does ... streaming, I think. I don't want to make the pages dependent on some third party service. And, for now, content is more important.

I know that serving up a video would eat into my purchased bandwidth, but I'm still less than 1% of space and of bandwidth! Growth room! :)
Darin McGrew wrote:Stan, if you think any of my explanations here are helpful, then feel free to adapt them and incorporate them into your page.
Thank you, Darin. Any used will be credited properly. And if any doubt, I'll check with you first.

I'd love to have your services as tech writer and/or editor! You "cut to the chase" so well. If only it weren't so "far below your pay grade".
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

I think the easy way to put a YouTube-like image in your web site would be to upload your video to YouTube, and then use the "Embed" URL they offer in the stanpope.net page.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Jeff Piazza wrote:I think the easy way to put a YouTube-like image in your web site would be to upload your video to YouTube, and then use the "Embed" URL they offer in the stanpope.net page.
Been bit once and don't want to make my stuff dependent on a third party. I can easily reestablish my site on another hosting provider. Rewriting page code when youtube folds is way down on my list of favorite things!
Stan
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

One thing that I know is that if the wheels are inhibited from sliding in and out on the axles by friction or irregularities in the bore and axle, then the process looses accuracy. The process is intended to be sensitive to free motion along the axle, and any inhibition to that free motion would affect the process adversely.
Agreed - for example if one put bubble gum on the axles and then put all wheels to the axle head - the car would exhibit OUT/OUT in forward and reverse, then if one put the wheels to the body the car would exhibit IN/IN in forward and reverse. Now if it ran straight one could claim good alignment - NOT - who knows what kind of alignment errors there might be masked by the lack of free motion along the axle. Obviously the bubble gum is an exaggeration - but I know what you are saying about the alignment process being dependent on the wheels free motion along the axle.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

1 ounce is enough to get a 5:1 weight dist onto the lesser loaded wheel! Do you think that more than 5:1 is needed? Or is it to shorten the hanger wire?
The main reason for more weight is to make the auxiliary ballast assembly more compact. I do want to make sure I've simulated adequate weight under max force of gravity load through transition. The Best track and the Freedom track transitions are so different. However, I do get concerned about the flex of wheels, especially really light ones...

For those trying to get their head around this whole concept consider snow skiing:
When one watches Bodie Miller skiing at high speed through those gates in slow motion video - the action and effect of his skis in super slow motion might help this alignment process make sense. To turn more effectively you need more weight on the ski which slices rather than slides through the icy snow in those turns. Also, consider the first thing all beginner skiers learn is to stop using the "snow plow" or the wedge.
Now picture in your minds eye the inner wheel edges in the rear of your car as ski edges. A micro snow plow, or a uneven half plow are among the things we're trying to avoid with this alignment process.

K
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

Great visual Kenny.
If I may continue the metaphor; Now imagine the mogul skier, knees together, calm upper body and perfectly parallel skis traversing the gates, I would gather this is more akin to proper rear wheel behavior.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

For those trying to get their head around this whole concept consider snow skiing:
When one watches Bodie Miller skiing at high speed through those gates in slow motion video - the action and effect of his skis in super slow motion might help this alignment process make sense. To turn more effectively you need more weight on the ski which slices rather than slides through the icy snow in those turns. Also, consider the first thing all beginner skiers learn is to stop using the "snow plow" or the wedge.
Now picture in your minds eye the inner wheel edges in the rear of your car as ski edges. A micro snow plow, or a uneven half plow are among the things we're trying to avoid with this alignment process.
Nice visual - how does a guy from Texas know so much about alpine skiing?
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Darin McGrew wrote:Ah, there the videos are! I was looking for a still image with a "play" icon on it. I wasn't looking for a normal link.
Okay ... I embedded the media players. Still trying for the "still image with the play icon overlaid", but it is getting closer!
Stan
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Here is a couple of videos of the initial slow speed alignment. Thanks for all you give Stan.
Last edited by *5 J's* on Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

hmm - I seem to be having an issue with the viewing the video - at least on this computer. Can anybody else view?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Plays fine 4 me.

Sporty
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

thanks for confirming Sporty - must be this slow computer tonight.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Looks like the car is tracking as planned regardless of which rear wheel is dominant! Both rear wheels want to run straight down the track and stay off the rail! :)

Did it converge quickly for you?
Stan
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

That particular car took a bit of smimming on one axle. We built four cars. I had two others that converged quickly, this one took a bit, and one that was a bear and required filling and drilling the axle hole.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Thanks for sharing the video! It seems to my naive eye though that the weight is attached near the middle of the car. Is that true, or are my eyes fooling me ? It seems to stay in place real well.