Pledge Floor Polish for Clear Coat

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
AlabamaDan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Pledge Floor Polish for Clear Coat

Post by AlabamaDan »

Roosclan gave us http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html in another thread about his beautiful cars when I asked about Floor Polish clear coat. Everyone else may know this but I thought I’d summarize what I’ve found to (a) make sure I’ve got it right and (b) preserve knowledge for others.
The website starts off with several pages on the history of this brand of floor polish. OMG I almost gave up. Then it gets to the good stuff which I’ve clipped parts of here. You never know when another page will disappear.
It is not necessary to thin this product prior to use. It can be applied directly from the bottle by either paintbrush or airbrush (15 to 20 psi), clean up with an ammonia-based window cleaner like Windex…Because Future
[sometimes this guy calls pledge future because that’s it original formula name]
is a true Acrylic coating…
Future can be applied to your model with either a wide soft paintbrush or via an airbrush. If you choose to use the paintbrush approach be sure that your brush is clear and free of any dust particles before starting. Use slow continuous strokes to avoid causing bubbles on the finish. Once you have brushed a coat on, leave it alone and let it’s self-leveling properties take care of itself until thoroughly dry. If you are going to use an airbrush set your delivery pressure at about 15 psi and keep your range at about 6 inches. I prefer to apply Future with the airbrush most often and lay down one or two heavy, wet coats. I have also found that mixing 3 parts Future to 1 part Isopropyl Alcohol before airbrushing really seems to help the finish. Some modelers prefer to apply several light coats but I feel this can lead to a pebbly result sometimes. When using heavy coats should you have a run develop simply touch it with the corner of a piece of tissue to draw off the excess. Should you discover a run after the coat has dried simply use a cotton swab soaked in ammonia based window cleaner and gently rub the run until it has been removed – only takes a minute or two
You can mix Future with Model Master Acrylic paints and add 20% to 25% of matt clear to obtain a realistic semi-gloss finish. Using Future as a "mixer" for acrylic paints will help them airbrush better, increase the durability of the paint to resist damage, and if you use enough Future, the resulting finish may not need to be gloss coated prior to decaling. It has been successfully used with Polly Scale, Model Master, Gunze Sangyo, and Mister Kit acrylic paints. Results have been poor when mixing Future with Tamiya acrylics and I do not recommend it. Usually around 25% Future to 75% paint will give good results but depending on your project you may want to add a little more Future. For example, if you are doing a fade/blending coat, you might add 80% Future to make a "translucent" paint.
If you screw up the application you can remove the dried Future with Windex… or simply let it soak in a cup of Future overnight. It is important that the clear parts are clean and free of wax or oils (such as your finger print) prior to application otherwise these contaminants will repel the Future and give unsatisfactory results in the end.
Future as a sealer over decals allows the modeler to use an oil based paint mixture thinned with Turpenoid to color to darken panel lines etc. The Future will prevent the oil paint from marking the surface and you can use a paper towel or q-tip to remove as much as you want until you get the effect that you desire.
Mix a little SNJ powder
[Dunno what that is.]
with Future and have a rock hard gloss silver finish. Add about 4 "blobs" of SNJ powder to a 1/2 oz jar of Future and mix well. Using low pressure like 8 or 10 psi, apply two or three light coats, the last one a little heavier. Wait about 45 minutes and then buff with some more SNJ powder. This will create a very convincing aluminum finish. After drying overnight, this produces a very durable finish. Another plus to this technique verses using a series of lacquer primers and lacquer paints is that if you are dealing with very fine panel lines you do not run the risk of compromising those lines with paint buildup…
When using Future in an airbrush, to clean your brush all you need to do is shoot some Windex or other ammonia based window cleaner through your airbrush.

Okay, so what if you are a little careless and get the Future on your hands? Washing with soap and water will take care of you
Future is great for creating a good medium gloss finish and with repeat layers and light sanding at 800 grit between layers can generate a fairly high gloss but if you want something truly outstanding then you need some Simple Green. Simple Green is a household and industrial cleaner found throughout the United States. It can be purchased in concentrated form or premixed. Most grocery stores carry the pre-mixed variety. In a small cup mix three parts Future with one part pre-mix Simple Green. Apply to your model with an airbrush using 15 to 18 psi pressure and about four to six inches of distance. Apply an even slightly wet coat then immediately cover the model with a large bowl or clean box because this will be a major dust magnet. Allow to cure overnight. When you remove the cover your model may appear to be wet still but no, this is the finish that is achieved – a STILL WET LOOK! You can apply a second coat if needed but be sure to cover the model again during the cure process. I failed to do this with one of my cars and it attracted a collection of fine dust particles and they really show up on such a high gloss finish. The Future seems to dry with the same hard finish as when used normally. Due to the high gloss aspect fingerprints will show up very easily so keep a lint free polishing cloth handy for when you cannot resist touching it.
Here’s how I read this.
1. Paint car as normal, let really really dry
2. Apply straight Pledge to car with brush or airbrush
3. Place on paper towel, cover with bowl to keep dirt and such off
4. Let dry for a day.
5. Apply decals.
andylester
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Pledge Floor Polish for Clear Coat

Post by andylester »

I have used this stuff back when I did a lot of military models. It works well and is very forgiving. When you compare the price of it to some other spray clears, it is very CHEAP! :D

I have not tried it on pinewood derby cars, but the results others are getting look really good..... :clap:
Thanks,

Andy Lester, Owner

Lester Racing - Laser Cut Gravity Car Innovation
http://www.lesterracing.net" target="_blank

Mountaineer Precision Products
http://www.mpp-models.com" target="_blank
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Jeff Piazza »

We've used it a little, applying with a brush. It won't correct defects in the underlying finish, but it adds a nice shine.

"Easy to apply" is quite an understatement.

The quart or so bottle, the smallest I could find, is about a ten-lifetime supply for this purpose. One bottle could serve a whole pack for a few years, if only I could figure out how to distribute a few capfuls to each scout.

It will cause inkjet-printed art (stickers) to bleed if they're not protected with some kind of clear coat before applying Future.

/JEP
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:goodpost: JEP!
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by stang68 »

Thanks for the info,i will have to give this a try on the three test cars i painted tuesday.
roosclan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by roosclan »

stang68 wrote:Thanks for the info,i will have to give this a try on the three test cars i painted tuesday.
Don't be dismayed if you see it get cloudy as it dries; it will be clear when it is fully dried.

This is the 2nd year we've used Future on our cars, and it does an excellent job. It won't provide a mirror-smooth finish, or a crystal clear reflection that your wife could apply her makup in, but your scout won't notice that. He'll just see the ceiling lights reflecting off of his car and go "woooooowww!" :mrgreen:
Tempus fugit. Frater, memento mori.
stang68
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by stang68 »

Picked some up today and coated two cars,one burgundy one hunter green,man they look good.Applied it with a small foam brush,went on smooth as silk
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

FWIW, the the added weight of weight Pledge floor polish also seems undetectably small.