Tools. Pictures. Drilling axle wholes.

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Tools. Pictures. Drilling axle wholes.

Post by FatSebastian »

quadad wrote:This PineCar one (above) is one I still have in the product packaging. Being aluminum, I think it will have a finite life, but I will try it out in the next week just to see how it does (and I will report on that).
quadad, might you be able to elaborate on just how the Pinecar guide is intended to work? According to this thread that gpraceman mentioned, it is not obvious to everyone just how this device is designed to drill (canted) holes. For example, does it fit on the bottom of the block or the side of the block? HOw does it fasten (clamps)? Etc. (You might even consider posting your reply back where these questions were raised.)
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

quadad wrote:This PineCar one (above) is one I still have in the product packaging. Being aluminum, I think it will have a finite life, but I will try it out in the next week just to see how it does (and I will report on that).
Interesting - I wonder if they sold two models as the manufacturer's website indicates they are made out of "cold rolled steel for a lifetime of use".
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:Interesting - I wonder if they sold two models...
According to this post, apparently so. (The manufacturer page does seem to show how it also it is supposed to work, so that answers my previous question.)
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:Interesting - I wonder if they sold two models...
According to this post, apparently so. (The manufacturer page does seem to show how it also it is supposed to work, so that answers my previous question.)
Perhaps, though that post indicates $160 for steel, whereas the manufacturers website shows the steel unit for $25.
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

Hey Sporty,
Nice information. I just purchased that machinist's tool and now use it to drill holes. So far, so good. The holes are perpendicular to the block's surface.
Murph
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

*5 J's* wrote:Perhaps, though that post indicates $160 for steel, whereas the manufacturers website shows the steel unit for $25.
The manufacturer contacted me (apparently as a result of this conversation) and indicated that the steel version is still available for $25. I would have rather bought that version originally, but still don't see the need given what else I have. My review is on the thread FS identified.
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

sporty wrote:There our many different ways to drill a axle whole.

While I do not have all the tools to review and comment on or post. I have pretty much all of them.

Buck, if you want to take a picture of your tool and post it. I have gotten to use it and try it out. Buck uses the block.

Now- before I even begin.

Note: this is not a debate topic, not a pick which is better topic, Not knock a product. It's about showing tools, options and maybe some mild comments. From a Scout and parent perspective.

I am not endorsing any product or excluding a product.

These are some of what I have worked with. I do not know which ones all came out first or 2nd or last, does not matter.
Hey Sporty,

Have you tried this one from Revell? Apparently Revell also has a Wheel Hub Tool and an Axle Straightner as well. Here is a photo of the Axle Alignment Tool.

Humv
Last edited by Humvderby on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--
littleZracer
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by littleZracer »

This is not a slam on any product just a little information. I have just purchased the Block and is the first time using. I find it to be a good tool. Just a little info on it, if you have to set up your drill press for this tool you may want to drill several blocks of wood. I have a large Delta drill press that is in our shop. So in order for me to use this tool I have to set fences on the drill table everytime. This can take some time to get it right. Once this is done the process is fast. Overall I like the tool, just waiting to see if it made us faster.
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

With The Block I drilled a few practice cars. I have had a lot of sucess with the product and use it on all of my cars. Unless rules prohibit drilled holes....
Last edited by pwrd by tungsten on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W Racing!!!!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I don't think Sporty intended this thread as a promo for any one tool, just showing the different options out there. I certainly don't want this to disintegrate into a "my tool is better" type of discussion. They all have their pros and cons.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I did not know revell had or was making and selling tools simuliar to what derbyworx makes and sells. interesting. Nice color, is that plastic ?

I think each tool offers something for everyone. I look at it like this- Those who are only midly looking to improve there building skills or go faster. Us long term racers who have kids at different ages. Provides a longer time in scouting. For the most part. Many scouts will only every build 3 to 5 cars, if they stay in scouts all 5 years.

Investment and cost, is a factor with many scout families when they look at event that makes up just a small part of scouting, it just happens to be one of the more popular activities in scouting, that most boys like to do.

But my kids after the 1st and 2nd year of scouting prefered cubmobile more than they did pinewood derby. it's more hands on, then just sitting a car on a track or waiting for there turn.

Then my kids took a much bigger interest in soap box derby racing. But they still like pinewood derby, but I try and keep in mind about the average family.

Many tools out there will work, some better than others and some provide easy and quick simple improvements, While others require more set up and adjustment of the tool.

Thats the great thing about the scale and interest in this scouting activity. A large scale of families get involved with there kids and do this race. then through it, people create or some up with better ways / different ways of building a better car and faster in the process.

One of my key likes of this forum and others, is you see that creativity of the car design, the tools used, the process and ect. This is how I enjoy it, I see and learn all the time and grow.

When I was in scouts, there was no internet or windoes or mac os yet, just dos and place the phone on a modem to call and talk to someone who had the same thing, which was dull and boring after a few uses.

Now a wealth of info and knowledge is out here on everything. I like the wacky or odd ball person who comes into the workshop doing everything that I had not seen before done, even if its slow or not a good process, it's something different.

I'm not a follower by nature, but a tinker and i like to think i'm creative.

I know why more mentioned here than needed. But I enjoy pictures of new tools and new ways to make a pinewood derby car.

Sporty
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Humvderby wrote:Hey Sporty,

Have you tried this one from Revell? Apparently Revell also has a Wheel Hub Tool and an Axle Straightner as well. Here is a photo of the Axle Alignment Tool.

Humv
Interesting. Looks extremely similar to the Pro Body Tool, but with a single slot for an alignment shaft like provided with the ProBody Jig. I don't see the preferred (I think) dual tool version like the Pro Body Jig though. States that it is for re-drilling axle slots and is "Made of tough, anodized aluminum". Its too bad that there isn't a version of these tools with deeper guides and/or made of tool steel, and allow for different heights (e.g. slot and higher). While I have a drill press I realize that the great majority of PWD car builders, even many on this forum, don't.

The Revell axle straightening tool, as much as you can see in the picture, looks the same as DW. Must be some connection. Their hub tool though, other than having a flat and concave surface, is fairly different.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

quadad wrote:The Revell axle straightening tool, as much as you can see in the picture, looks the same as DW. Must be some connection.
I asked Bill from DerbyWorx that question and it looks like Revell came out with these on their own. Seems the lawyers are talking.

The Revell axle straightening tool does look like a clone of the DerbyWorx Pro Axle Press, so it seems to me that there is some patent infringement going on. However, I'm no patent attorney. There might be some loopholes Revell is trying to exploit.

With the notch under the Revell axle alignment tool, it seems like they are intending to sell something like the Pro Body Jig.

The Revell hub tool has an interesting twist to it, being reversible.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Kenny »

To the casual surfer newbie checking out all these excellent options for making axle holes in your pineblock:

To keep cost of the drill-guide style of tools down, softer metals must be used by their manufacturers. In cases where the drill bit is in contact with the tool, beware that you may be enlarging the tool's guide hole and introducing more slop with each successive hole you drill. We ruined our first one using a hand-drill our Tiger year. This is one of the reasons we preferred not using a power drill or drill press but rather a good Pin-vise (hand-drill) - with a handle the size of a screwdriver - and taking our time to avoid binding pressure. If you must use a power drill or drill press with one of these "soft" drilling guides, go slow and mind the binding. One more thing: resist the temptation to "lube" the tool or drill bit - that will wreck your pine block holes. best to drill dry.

I am not picking on guide-style tools, on the contrary they are awesome and affordable. Just be aware that as the holes get wollered out things get sloppier. You might not think that a few thousandths of an inch would matter that much...it does.

K
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

gpraceman wrote: I asked Bill that question and it looks like Revell came out with these on their own. Seems the lawyers are talking. Their axle straightening tool does look like a clone of the DerbyWorx one, so it seems to me that there is some patent infringement going on. However, I'm no patent attorney. There might be some loopholes Revell is trying to exploit
I'm not a Patent Attorney, however I think as large as Revell is, I am sure they have some fairly smart Attorneys and are sophisticated enough to do a thorough review process of any patent infringement issues before launching the Tools. Again, I'm not an Attorney, just giving Revell a little credit for possibly thinking this through ahead of time.

Judging by the enormous number of Pinewood Derby products listed on their website, it would seem Revell has been working on this for quite some time. I am sure they had all of the I's dotted and the T's crossed before launching any of their Derby product line. They have launched a substantial number of products.

Just judging by the picture, the Revell Pro Hub Tool looks to be quite an improvement. The larger handle should be easier to work with. I have to admit, their Tools look nice. In terms of Brand recognition, obviously Revell is very well known and will no doubt have the advantage there.

Humv
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--