Green Hornet Black Beauty

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Green Hornet Black Beauty

Post by pack529holycross »

Good afternoon my friends, and I hope you all are having a wonderful December thus far. Have been very busy with many new duties within our District, so this is the first time I have had an opportunity to check in on my Car building buddies on Derby Talk. We are still in the planning stage of this years stable of cars, and of course my Mini-Me picked another oddball choice - The Black Beauty from Green Hornet.

I do have some very high resolution images of the car, but was wondering if anyone in the 3d modelling world has come across or can point in the right direction of some good profile vector files to begin the shaping process.

I look forward to conversing with you throughout the next 6 months yet again, and good luck on your individual car-building projects!!!

Nicholas Durante
Pack 529 Lake Mary Florida

Kenny
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Green Hornet Black Beauty

Post by Kenny »

I have a sneaky feeling this is going to be a very popular car in PWD real soon.

I'm sure it will turn up soon.

K
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Green Hornet Black Beauty - UPDATED 1st Day of Construct

Feel Free to look me up on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/npdscouting

slipperyfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by slipperyfrog »

Looking great!
http://www.solarartgraphics.com
SolarArt Graphics & Window Tint
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

Fantastic work!

Is your son cutting your own wood stock there? What size and where did you get it?

I've contemplated a Black Beauty as well. I first go to The Blueprints to look for a line drawing. http://www.the-blueprints.com/" target="_blank No go. Keep in mind that the Black Beauty is based on a 1966 Chrysler Crown Imperial, so be on the look out for plans for that car as well.
VWAffe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by VWAffe »

Very nice; looks like it's shaping up beautifully!

Have you checked Google SketchUP's 3D Warehouse? I did a cursory check and didn't find anything, but you never know... I've not become an expert yet, but I've started figuring out how to take cross-section slices of model on any plane... my wife wants me to build her a classic '69 Charger General Lee! Of course, there's plenty of fans out there, and several pretty nice models to choose from.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Green Hornet Black Beauty UPDATED PHOTOS

I need some help, because I have never been great in the paint department - I painted the car White PRIMER then Black Enamel. I inadvertently painted it with an Acrylic Clearcoat, and as you can see from the last picture, the finish is no longer glossy or even shiny. To the Paint Experts out there... how can I get the car back to a shiny Black?

REST OF THE PICS _ http://pack529.jalbum.net/BlackBeauty11111/
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

ciodude wrote:Fantastic work!

Is your son cutting your own wood stock there? What size and where did you get it?

I've contemplated a Black Beauty as well. I first go to The Blueprints to look for a line drawing. http://www.the-blueprints.com/" target="_blank No go. Keep in mind that the Black Beauty is based on a 1966 Chrysler Crown Imperial, so be on the look out for plans for that car as well.
I bought last year a 3ft piece of balsa, and have done quite a few cars from that single block.

I used the blueprint on that Site as a guide to the overall proportions and to better locate the axles to the car body - they are great for that.

I then used some very high resolution photos from the car show appearance made by the first prototype, as well as promo shots of the car itself. Be aware there are two different types of guns on the hood -- gatlin guns on the prototype and a different type of silver gun on another version in the movie. We went with the gatlins because thats what Nicky Jr wanted --- 3 toothpicks with the fizzy plastic left on for gunfire, painted black with a sharpie, cut to length then bound together with wire from the packaging of a Robot toy he got for christmas. We used a Gold paint pen for the holes on the side of the barrels just for effect, and pushed the wire supports through the hood. no glue.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Green Hornet Black Beauty UPDATED PHOTOS

Post by Darin McGrew »

pack529holycross wrote:I need some help, because I have never been great in the paint department - I painted the car White PRIMER then Black Enamel. I inadvertently painted it with an Acrylic Clearcoat, and as you can see from the last picture, the finish is no longer glossy or even shiny. To the Paint Experts out there... how can I get the car back to a shiny Black?
From the photo, it looks like you used a matte acrylic finish. Acrylic finish comes in other finishes besides matte. Get some gloss (or super gloss if they have it) and it should look better. It may be worth testing on a piece of scrap wood.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

:bigups: That is still the coolest car I've seen.
I agree about trying some new gloss clear coat. ( I'm still mad about the movie! :burningmad: )
-Tim
ciodude
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ciodude »

What about the movie has you mad Tim?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

PMs please - no spoilers......
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Green Hornet Black Beauty UPDATED PACK DERBY

Ill have pics from the actual Derby soon.. for now here are the "night before" pics

I actually shot it heavy with clear again, and it seemed to be more glossy this time. Same clear as before... possibly it was a temperature issue or something else.

The missiles are the FLAT end if wood skewers, sanded pointy (but blunt) then colored with a green crayon. The Machine guns are three frizzle toothpicks ( my sons idea ) to keep the frizzles intact so "they look like they are shooting dad". Used a Sharpie to color black, and wire from a Christmas toy packaging for the binding. Silver paint pen for the detail on both the guns and the car "chrome". the paint pen I used really wasnt a "paint pen" so fortunately when we cleared the car again, it sealed and locked down the silver details. you can see in the following pictures some of the silver has rubbed off prior to that step.

This project was involved but not difficult. I would say the reason for that is the rather blocky and basic shape of the car to begin with - flat sides, and a windshield arc that is relatively easy to shape. Jr was involved in 100% of the process, and performed at least 50% of the actual work.

The car ran respectable times for being so design-oriented (49 Foot BestTrack / 44 feet Pin to largest/furthest Sensor) :

Group Round Heat Lane Time Speed (mph) Place
1TIGERS 1
2 BLUE 3.7270 201.2 1
4 GOLD 3.7280 201.2 2
6 GREEN 3.7190 201.7 4
7 ORANGE 3.7260 201.3 1
8 WHITE 3.7120 202.0 3
14 YELLOW 3.6960 202.9 2
Grand Finals 1
2 GOLD 3.7450 200.3 5
4 GREEN 3.7450 200.3 5
5 WHITE 3.7290 201.1 5
7 ORANGE 3.7470 200.2 5
13 YELLOW 3.7290 201.1 3
16 BLUE 3.7570 199.6 5

yes that design was as tedious and painful to create as it appears :)

http://pack529.jalbum.net/Black_Beauty/
formyfourboys
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by formyfourboys »

cool car! My boys and I have just built our own black beauty. I started from a cub scout issued pine wood derby block and had to add wood to the sides and top. the body looks just like yours. I used old Christmas beads for head lights, they reflected the light and look as if they are on. I had the same picture of the car as you did off the net and couldnt find any pictures of the back. I have a 1958 ford in the garage next to my bench, i looked over and said , that will do. So the rear end of the car resembles the 58. I took and broke small red christmas tree lights and used them for tail lights, they gave it a cadilac rear end look. I will send some pics or post them when I can figure out how.
formyfourboys
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by formyfourboys »

ok, using computers is acutually new to me so see if this will let you see a pic of our black beauty. Image , if it does i will post more. thanks. p.s. really like the flames comming out of the guns. I never would have thought tooth picks>