Rail Run or not with 4 wheels down?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Rail Run or not with 4 wheels down?

Post by sporty »

4 on the ground, very hard to cant the RR and have that other wheel touch, without causing some issues.

canting the non dom wheel, will only slow the car down. but it can work.

options, run a smaller o.d wheel on the RR car. go back and start over, if you are canting the front, to get 4 to touch. You are gonna have to drill the RR wheel a tad up from the left.

When you start canting the non dom wheel, it works against the RR wheel and will slow the car.

With 4 wheels down, you can only cant the RR wheel a very very small amount. Toeing is the better option when doing 4 wheel on the ground rules.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

:thinking: Quick question. What's the difference between "Rail-Running" and "Rail-Riding" ? We've been using rail-riding very successfully.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

tgrimstead wrote::thinking: Quick question. What's the difference between "Rail-Running" and "Rail-Riding" ? We've been using rail-riding very successfully.
Same thing.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

They are not the same thing. there is a difference.

Rail running, is done with narrowed pinewood block,It's narrowed less than the width of the rail or less. the car runs strait, but there is no wiggles, because there is no room for wiggle.

It's not legal in many pack or council races, and its something you have to have a test track for, preferably just like the one you will be racing on.

The other is more known as we all seem to talk about it these days. the narrowed 1/16th on the front dom side.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:Rail running, is done with narrowed pinewood block,It's narrowed less than the width of the rail or less. the car runs strait, but there is no wiggles, because there is no room for wiggle.
I guess that I had better pay attention. It seemed that people were using them interchangeably.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

gpraceman wrote:
sporty wrote:Rail running, is done with narrowed pinewood block,It's narrowed less than the width of the rail or less. the car runs strait, but there is no wiggles, because there is no room for wiggle.
I guess that I had better pay attention. It seemed that people were using them interchangeably.
My understanding was rail-riding and rail-running were the same and what Sporty refers to is Rail-Hugging.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

*5 J's*

there is enough cant on the wheels, its riding on the rail !

There is a differance.

Sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

*5 J's* wrote:My understanding was rail-riding and rail-running were the same and what Sporty refers to is Rail-Hugging.
That was my understanding, too. Guess I need to consult the glossary!

Rail Riding is a proprietary term (trademark?), as I understand it. "Rail guiding" is a more generic, and more descriptive, term for "rail riding".
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

:idea: Thank you gentlemen, that clarifies a bit. Riding, Running ( can we just use Railing?) - turning the cars front dom wheel intentionally into the center guide. Different name, same meaning, depending on geographical location. Hugging - narrowing of the body beyond the allowed 1 3/4 inch minimum, so the cars wheels can hug the center guide. Basically Hugging is a skinny straight runner then?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Stan Pope wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:My understanding was rail-riding and rail-running were the same and what Sporty refers to is Rail-Hugging.
That was my understanding, too.
The Rail-Riding Method by Jay Wiles (available here in clear text and here as pdf) appears to equate the terms Rail Riding and Rail Hugging as it says "This is how 'Rail Riding/Rail Hugging' was invented..."
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

There are going to be some very confused people with all of these terms flying around. :? :idk:
Randy Lisano

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

gpraceman wrote:There are going to be some very confused people with all of these terms flying around. :? :idk:
Mission complete!!! :mrgreen:
Stan
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

FatSebastian wrote:The Rail-Riding Method[/i] by Jay Wiles (available here in clear text and here as pdf) appears to equate the terms Rail Riding and Rail Hugging as it says "This is how 'Rail Riding/Rail Hugging' was invented..."
A more correct term would be "reinvented", since the use of "toe-in for the DFW" to keep the fast cars "under control" was whispered between those in the know long before 1990. Like many "pinewood secrets" it was kept "close to the vest" and shared with discretion.

Whether such secrets should be "kept" or "shared widely" is debatable. "Opportunity for (re)discovery" may be an important part of a youngster's pinewood experience. On the other hand, why make them work hard to learn something that is already known?
Stan
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

gpraceman wrote:There are going to be some very confused people with all of these terms flying around. :? :idk:
For anybody confused, don't be ! These terms are ALL equivalent. :D

Instead, pay attention to whether or not you are going to ride on a track with a center guide (like most wood and aluminum) or an edge guide (like most plastic). THAT makes a difference and affects how you design/build you car.
68sportcoupe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 68sportcoupe »

what if your pack races on a plastic outside guide track.
and the district races on a aluminum best track.
now what do you do to prepare for both?