Has anyone heard of this lube?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Has anyone heard of this lube?

Post by Scubersteve »

thanks for the product review sporty. I may have to look into geting some.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
DenDadBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DenDadBob »

sporty wrote:Now not listed or mentioned was another step that I tried in going faster with it. That process worked and I was able to set a new track record here at home, comparing to graphite, but not to oil.

Ya im gonna hold on to that added process for a few weeks.
Sporty,
Thanks for the review. I ordered some of this lube and am going to try it this year. Care to share your supplemental step to improve the performance?
Robert
murphken
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by murphken »

:nod: But it is always fun to figure it out yourself! :idea: Lets see......... I know how Sporty thinks! :lol:
SHINING LIGHT Pinewood Derby & Audio
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

murphken wrote::nod: But it is always fun to figure it out yourself! :idea: Lets see......... I know how Sporty thinks! :lol:

Great minds think like ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm going through a very hard time right now and I was not ignoring the question. I just am overwhelmed with what I am dealing with right now.

Lets just say, lost my job and went into the video saturday and there was my girl friend with another man. Needless to say shes didnt leave with me. lol

So Im trying to cope with this right now.
Scubersteve
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scubersteve »

sporty wrote: So Im trying to cope with this right now.
Sorry sporty, that's lousy.
If you don't take your fun seriously, who will?
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

Okay, so I bought some of the coaches secret lube to try. The website says the lube is the perfect legal dry lube for Pinewood Derby race cars. There have been rumors that the product contains oil. As our Cub Scout rules prohibit the use of oil, so I inquired about the make up of the product before using it. I was informed that the lube "is considered to be a dry lube as it dries fast", but the makeup is a trade secret. :thinking:

So to ensure compliance with our Pack rules, I put a drop of the product on 1/2 of a wheel tread and allowed the product to "dry" for 24 hours as per the instructions. After 24 hours of drying the wheel tread is still wet with what seems to be oil. :/

I do not feel this product is legal for Packs that restrict to dry lubricants. While I cannot ascertain what the product is, I can say that it is NOT a dry lubricant. :shifty:

:rules:

Sporty, did the product dry fully for you?
DenDadBob
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DenDadBob »

We thought we would give this lube a try on my older son's car this year. We prepared and lubed the axles and wheels as indicated, but were not satisfied with it. When we were rolling the car on a board to align it, it was clear that it did not roll as freely as my younger son's car, which was prepared with graphite.

It is possible that we used too much, but the bottle is supposed to be enough for 3 cars and we stil had 2/3 left.

We had no confidence the it would be as fast as graphite and did not have a track to test it on, so we throughly cleaned the wheels and axles, polished them again and prepared them with graphite. I'm glad we did because my son ended up winning the Pack derby. Even if the Coach's lube would have been as fast, I would have hated to find out after the fact that we were using a prohibited lube.

I may try it again on a test car, but we will not be using it on a car for the scout race.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

DenDadBob wrote:We thought we would give this lube a try on my older son's car this year. We prepared and lubed the axles and wheels as indicated, but were not satisfied with it. When we were rolling the car on a board to align it, it was clear that it did not roll as freely as my younger son's car, which was prepared with graphite.

It is possible that we used too much, but the bottle is supposed to be enough for 3 cars and we stil had 2/3 left.

We had no confidence the it would be as fast as graphite and did not have a track to test it on, so we throughly cleaned the wheels and axles, polished them again and prepared them with graphite. I'm glad we did because my son ended up winning the Pack derby. Even if the Coach's lube would have been as fast, I would have hated to find out after the fact that we were using a prohibited lube.

I may try it again on a test car, but we will not be using it on a car for the scout race.
While I didn't conduct any quantitative testing as Sporty, I did put some on a test car and it did beat similarly prepped graphite cars. However, neither speeds were up to a full oil prep speed.

So, I think the product is faster then graphite - but I don't believe it is legal for a dry lubricants only race.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

mine all dried with in a minute or two and stayed dry.

I do know you have to shake to mix it up really well.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

sporty wrote:mine all dried with in a minute or two and stayed dry.

I am trying another sample. I shook it REAL well and will apply a bit lighter. The first sample definately didn't dry - even after being in a dehydrator for 36 hours.
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

sporty wrote:mine all dried with in a minute or two and stayed dry.

Interesting

Couple of disclaimers - one, I have no interest in figuring out what this product is, rather my interest was to decide if product is a dry lubricant that met the rules of our Pack. Second, I was ready to write this off as illegal per our rules until others posted that they have used the product and it was dry.

I ran a second sample with a light coat as reccomended and after 4 hours - the product still seems like a liquid to me. I'll give it a full 24 hours to be fair.

Some have suggested this product is Krytox in an alcohol base. Tonight I put a few drops of krxtox in a container and added iso alcohol. I can tell you that it did NOT appear similiar to the Secret Lube. Both had a clear or translucent glob in the alcohol, however the glob of krytox moved around in the oil quite rapidly as the container was rotated, whereas the glob in the secret lube moved around much slower as the container was rotated. Once applied to a wheel tread the krytox/alcohol mix seemed to evaporate within a minute with no evidence of application or oily residue left behind, however, the Secret lube seems to spread to an even wet/oily coating on the tread.

Again, I'm not trying to figure out what the composition is, rather if it is truly a dry lube as advertised. As the manufucturer will not confirm nor deny it contains oil, I tried an alcohol/oil mix to see if this was the mix. I can comfortably say the mix is not Krytox in iso alcohol.

At this point I still contend that it leaves a liquid coating on the tread, but will wait the full 24 hours to be fair.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

*5 J's* wrote:At this point I still contend that it leaves a liquid coating on the tread, but will wait the full 24 hours to be fair.
How are you gauging its "wetness"? By appearance? It's shine? If you touched a piece of tissue paper to it, would it wick up onto / into the paper? IMO, if it did that then it is definitely liquid...
*5 J's*
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by *5 J's* »

FatSebastian wrote:
*5 J's* wrote:At this point I still contend that it leaves a liquid coating on the tread, but will wait the full 24 hours to be fair.
How are you gauging its "wetness"? By appearance? It's shine? If you touched a piece of tissue paper to it, would it wick up onto / into the paper? IMO, if it did that then it is definitely liquid...
I tried to video tape me rubbing the surface and as well as wicking it on toilet paper but the video didn't come out well.

The treated part of the tread it notably shinier, and on the initial sample the product appeared to pool to the side of the wheel that was down. When the wheel was flipped the product would "flow" a bit back towards the center of the tread. I could also smear the product across the tread and it acted similiar to what an oil would, and my finger would have a shiny residue on it after smearing. I tried to wick it onto toilet paper but within the limits of my lighting I could not see if the product wicked onto the paper. I could however see on the tread where the toilet paper was pressed. Similiar to laeving a fingerprint on the surface.
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

Could there be a difference in the different versions of this product ? I remember talk of level I, II, ...
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

ya i think you have a bad bottle or something.

I have had level 1, level 1.5 and level 2 and also level 2.5 ( level 2.5 I have not tried yet)

I would contact the seller, I think something is wrong with yours. mine dried every time.