Has anyone heard of this lube?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
pinecone123
Journeyman
Journeyman

Has anyone heard of this lube?

Post by pinecone123 »

I saw an ad in the back of BSA mag. Below is a link to the website. Sounds like some sort of coating. Does anyone have any experience with this? What's your opinion on it?

http://pinewoodderbycoach.com/Secret_Derby_Lube.html" target="_blank

:? :? :? :?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Has anyone heard of this lube?

Post by sporty »

I just ordered some of it, for the price, I hope it really works. I will test it and post back about it.

Sporty
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I hope the product is better than some of their misleading advertising "Wet oil based lubes are not acceptable as they can melt the inside of your plastic wheel, and foul the race track. Oil based lubes will also attract dust which will slow down your race car. " Sure some oils can melt plastic, but others are lubing the fastest gravity powered cars out there. I just get a bit suspicious when I see that kind of 'throw dirt on the other product' advertising.
andylester
Merchant
Merchant

Post by andylester »

I love reading his website.... quite entertaining.

Lots of talk about his ideas on the whys and hows he gets his speed.

Lots of text for two products....

I can't wait to see what you find out from the lube Sporty. You're not kidding, it better kick some behind for that price!!!
Thanks,

Andy Lester, Owner

Lester Racing - Laser Cut Gravity Car Innovation
http://www.lesterracing.net" target="_blank

Mountaineer Precision Products
http://www.mpp-models.com" target="_blank
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

andylester wrote:I love reading his website.... quite entertaining.

Lots of talk about his ideas on the whys and hows he gets his speed.

Lots of text for two products....

I can't wait to see what you find out from the lube Sporty. You're not kidding, it better kick some behind for that price!!!
Molybdenum Disulfide is commonly referred to as running on Mini Ball Bearings. He actually makes referrence to this in his ad. This must be some type of Molybdenum Disulfide Dry Film Lubricant.

The only problem with Molybdenum Disulfide as a lubricant for Pinewood Cars is it is not as good as Graphite or the Oils. Actually Moly doesn't even come close to the aforemention lubes. At least from my experience, Moly was one of the worst performing lubricants I tested and I've experimented with at least 20 or 30 different types of lubricant.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Humv
Dream Job--"Derby Car Analyst"--
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

i'm gonna wait and see what it is and run and test it, when it comes. Until then I will reserve judgement.

I have tried allot of different vendors lubes / oils / graphites. Different process's, ect.

Lots of track testing and track timer, with solendoid release gate.

Heck I hope it is faster.

Sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Humvderby wrote:Molybdenum Disulfide is commonly referred to as running on Mini Ball Bearings. He actually makes referrence to this in his ad.
The ad says "Our lube acts as ball bearings at microscopic level which is millions of times smaller than graphite particles." My understanding was that Molybdenum Disulfide particles are larger than graphite particles? :idk:

Whatever it is, it sounds like it may have a shelf life of less than one season?
Buy enough lube for one season only. Buy a fresh bottle next year.
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

FatSebastian wrote:
Humvderby wrote:Molybdenum Disulfide is commonly referred to as running on Mini Ball Bearings. He actually makes referrence to this in his ad.
The ad says "Our lube acts as ball bearings at microscopic level which is millions of times smaller than graphite particles." My understanding was that Molybdenum Disulfide particles are larger than graphite particles? :idk:
This is a description of the Moly additive in Hob E lube; "This fine, special-ground lubricant with Molybdenum, is safe on all surfaces and easy to use. This lubricant works like millions of microscopic ball bearings and is the racer's advantage!"

The Microscopic Ball Bearings the description is referring to is the Moly in the Hob e lube. FatSebastian, Graphite may be smaller as you suggested however I believe it is more of a Flake shaped material.
Whatever it is, it sounds like it may have a shelf life of less than one season?
My guess is it is a Dry Film Moly and the shelf life is limited because the carrier evaporates in a short period of time. In addition if he is comparing his secret Moly Dry Film Lube to Oils that eat away plastic, as he states in his ad, then the Moly would most likely be better. If he would compare Moly to the Oils in use today, which do not affect plastic, then Oil will be better hands down.

Just my .02 cents.

Humv
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I do not think it has any molly in it or graphite.

I spoke with the gentleman over the phone. he seemed like a nice person. He feels they have a good product and I look forward to trying it out.

I will post more, when I have more to post about it.

Sporty
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

K, folks, get your ears on and get ready for my initial testing report of this product.

1- product is clear. dries in seconds.

Nice little manual that comes with it and nice instruction sheet.

I was impressed, you could since some time and quality went into this.

While I was not able to get this as fast or faster than oil. Hold the phone.

Cuz I did get it faster than graphite. Thats right !

I have been struggling to get our cars faster on graphite for souts race. So thats why I tried this.

We can run dry lubes. But not oil.

So since its dry, It would be allowed.

It goes on clear and just follow the instructions.

Now the process mentioned, did fall about .003 short of my fastest graphite cars.

But that was pretty close. Easy to apply and I got about 30 runs before Times fell off.

I did see a little more deviation compared to graphite. or what I am use to. I usually am around .003 or less. This product seem to be around .006 to .008 deviation. So a little more than what I am use too. But it surprised me and is a good product.

Now not listed or mentioned was another step that I tried in going faster with it. That process worked and I was able to set a new track record here at home, comparing to graphite, but not to oil.

Ya im gonna hold on to that added process for a few weeks.

So aside from the cost, it is easier to use, last longer than graphite and even without my added process, it works pretty good. better than most of the graphites I have tried or used at one time.

As I mentioned it fell .003 short compared to my process with my graphite car, but when I added another step with this product, I was then faster by about .006 to .008. For me this was pretty good.

So I would recommend this product, try it if you like, I think you will like it.

I did over 100 test runs, at 30 runs on each application before re-prep / apply.

One more thought, is that this does not drop off in speed as quickly as graphite and double elim races or lots of racing this is a good product to try. because, my graphite that I use and process does not last more than 12 to 14 runs before times drop off. With this still doing pretty good at 20 runs. Times were still lower than my higher times with graphite at those amounts of runs.

So it did not beat my oil cars times, its still a decent product to try and I will be using it.
Sporty
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

Sporty,

Did it come with an MSDS sheet? Any liquid Lubricant should come with an MSDS sheet?

It's clear so definitely not Moly. The fast drying time indicates the Carrier evaporates rather quickly. This is why it only lasts one Season, the container does not seal well enough to keep the Carrier from evaporating after a few months.

Thanks for the test results.

Humv
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

No it did not come with a msds sheet. I have bought many lubes and none of them have ever came with a msds sheet. You have to request them from the mfg. Even then They can just say don't buy the product.

I think they want to keep whats in it a secret, So others do not clone it or replicate it.

Sporty
Humvderby
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Humvderby »

Sporty,

Are there any warning Labels on the Bottle? Typically there would be some information regarding Flamability, Carcinogenicity Information, what to do if Skin Contact, Inhaled, Eye Contact, Swallowed etc. If it is a lubricant with a Carrier some of the above will apply.

I'm not an attorney however I think there are laws that require warning labels, disclosure of contents and handling instructions on certain chemicals. I pretty sure most Liquid Lubricants would be under some sort of safety requirement.

Just my .02 cents.

Humv
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Yes there was some of that, on the instruction sheet.

More than what I have seen from other pwdr related products from others.

This is just not a area I want to dive into. Its not my area. I just wanted to buy and try it and post what i found. I did not start the topic and new nothing about it, until I read the initial post. So thats just not a area I get into. But perhaps you could contact them and inquire.

I hope this helps in answering your question. I wanted to answer it the best that I could.

Sporty
joe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by joe »

I've tried pure powdered Moly disulfide and it's not as good as graphite. I've got a whole canister to sell!
However, rub it on the wheels and they look FANTASTIC.