When is too early to complete a car before race day?

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
frmla77
Apprentice
Apprentice

When is too early to complete a car before race day?

Post by frmla77 »

Hopefully this is not a repeat question.

I have always had a question on how early to start and complete the car build. Should not wait too long, because the process to build a winning car takes time. May not want to do it too early, as the body may warp, axles may corrode. Our Pack Race is later this month. We already have the bodies cut out and somewhat sanded, but have not worked on axles or wheels. I have an unheated detached garage, plus living in Central Illinois, I am not sure about moisture in the air or other potential factors. Currently the bodies are in a small cardboard box.

So to all, how early do you start body and axle prep? What do you normally do to prevent body warpage or axle corrosion, before final stages? When do you complete the final stages - 1 week prior to the race, a couple of days prior?

I have heard of priming the body as soon as possible, but I think we are planning on just clear coating the cars this year. I did not bake the blocks of wood before hand, but not sure if that makes a difference as the wood could still soak moisture in the air during the different stages. I have heard putting the axles in air tight bags when prepped. But have not seen anything that indicated the ideal time between a car completion and race day. I also understand that there may be a difference of length depending on where you live and other circumstances.

We have always tried to create unique (what we think are) and fast cars. We have had the opportunity to have a couple featured in Max V's newsletter. A Wrench and the Model "Tea". I thank all for their valueable information on this site and hope to make my son's last race a very productive one. :nervous: :pray:
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: When is too early to complete a car before race day?

Post by rpcarpe »

When is the race?
Doc Jobe recommends putting finished axles in 90% isopropyl alcohol to avoid corrosion.
I've put cars together weeks ahead and just re-lubed and I've also finished them at the weigh-in table.
Ask your son what he wants to do about it.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Our pack / council rules allow us to start right after the council race. so essentially we have 9-10 months before the next race.

We have built early and late, but usually like to start in August, our race is in Jan.

But we know we enjoy it, put allot of time into it and do several cars.

Re-preppping is easy in my view of it. But I can also tell you we can take a car from a year ago and with little more than 5 minutes, have it back up to the speeds it was running a year ago.

Mainly we do this for testing / comparisons. Since the track gets moved about and ect, we want to ensure are times are right ro close. and not going off inaccurate data due to track take down and reset up.

We can run over 100 runs before the bores need re-prepped, but the axles, 20-40 runs and re-do them. Or when times fall off or they just look sub par to the standard we like to see.

A block of wood is only a few dollars and those who have a interest and passion to improve or go faster or just to build and tinker, i can't think of a better thing to do, compared to the cost of some of the other things we can or do.

Everyone wants to win and some point or do well or go faster or be better than the year before. Or a nicer looking car, ect. Those who achieve those goals are usually people who want to invest the time and enjoy it.

Forget what people think or say. The biggest gripes are usually from the people who spent no time with the build or with there kids or couldnt and perhaps feel guilty and find it easier to pick on others who worked hard at it.

I like to teach my kids, creativity, but I also see it as a stepping stone, on work ethic and what they will face when they are older in the work world.
Sporty
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

rpcarpe wrote:Doc Jobe recommends putting finished axles in 90% isopropyl alcohol to avoid corrosion.
90% isopropyl alcohol is 10% water. I therefore speculate that Jobe's recommendation may only be intended for rinsing axles and short-term storage (minutes or hours rather than days or weeks). FWIW, it has been observed that storing polished axles in isopropyl alcohol may cause corrosion in the long term.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

:paperbag: We start in November. We cut out multiple "prototypes" and play with any new ideas for axle shining or weight distributions. The girls and boy usually have their favorite setup by December. After that it's running the practice track and tweeking. Of course we have to construct at least 8 cars. 4 for Scouts and 4 for AWANA. Then any extra if they want a separate one for Open class. The kids like to run them weekly down the practice track to keep them warmed up for the race in January. ( Basically 3 months of Derby addiction. The wife doesn't seem to mind.)
quadad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by quadad »

I think a month before is a reasonable start time, depending on many things, but wouldn't suggest any less if you want to be competitive. Most Tigers can only handle little slices of work at a time, so that is one reason to take longer. Webelos can go a lot longer if they are inspired, but they may have many more activities going on. Of course all kids are different (even ones born at the same time !), so these are general thoughts.

The whole issue with warping is primarily with very thin cars and temp/humidity and what paint products you are applying. I would never leave our cars in the garage during winter, even if they were to be somewhat chunky (our bodies are usually 8.5 - 12 grams :lol: ). With four kids we have LOTS going on and work in spurts, usually start early and finish at the last minute and don't make a big deal out of painting - warping hasn't been an issue for us. I would suggest doing axles early and leaving them in graphite in a zip loc bag when not needed.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

quadad wrote:The whole issue with warping is primarily with very thin cars and temp/humidity and what paint products you are applying.
For thin cars with mostly flat bottoms, as a precaution it might be helpful to store them such that their wheels do not support their weight, (e.g., by placing them on a stand or atop another body block).
frmla77
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by frmla77 »

Thanks for the replies.

Our Pack Race is 1/21. I just did not know how long a finished car could sit around before things may start to happen with the axles. We have not started the axle and wheel work yet.

We have gotten better at getting the cars completed in advance of the race. Learned from a very bad mistake of waiting too long our second year. :wall:

We have always had the cars sitting on blocks of wood in a container, while being stored and transported. Felt this would help with any jarring of the wheels and losing the alignment, also with the cars being thin. One time, we prepped a lot of axles and placed them in a small bag of graphite, just to have extras and to be prepared for any issues. Not sure if that help or hurt anything.

So it sounds like, some complete cars early and may re-graphite the axles or re-work the axles. Some try and complete the cars a week or so before the race.

I am thinking maybe this weekend we need to look at the cut out bodies and get busy to finish some of the cars. Maybe we will just try and do the re-lube before practice night (1/20) and race.

Thanks again.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Doggonit! Mike's kid (Brandon?) is gonna be fast again this year! My poor grandson has to race against him again ... if grandson makes it to district. Hope they are in different age groups, at least! :nervous:
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
frmla77
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by frmla77 »

Stan, Stan, Stan. We would not be where we were at if it was not for your generosity of giving your personal time and your knowledge to us.

This is Brandon's last year and I think your grandson is in Bear's this year (correct?). We have only one Web II, this year (kids moved, went to other packs or went to sports). I have a feeling he will qualify for Districts this year. So the only chance they will meet is for the Race of Champions. Which would be fantastic. However, Brandon has to get past that very Fast Group, Pack 165 from Germantown Hills to get to ROC.

I was asking the question to see how soon before their race others were getting their cars completed. I would hate for Brandon to build a fast car, sit for an extended period of time and incur issues that could cause him a chance for Pack Champion.

Regardless, win or lose, we look forward to seeing you at District in Feb.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Mike, you and Brandon do good work!

As for when... Start early. If you finish the car and have the time, build another ... and another. When the race is nigh, lube 'em up and race with the fastest!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"