How do you keep / get graphite off the paint job??

Secrets, tips, tools, design considerations, materials, the "science" behind it all, and other topics related to building the cars and semi-trucks.
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

How do you keep / get graphite off the paint job??

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Tried searching through threads and couldn't find the information.

yes, I KNOW the best answer is to use oil!!!! But it's not allowed by rule. :unsure:

We use acrylic paints with an air-brush kit. - For those that haven't tried it - small airbrush kits are cheap. The airbrush is smaller and a LOT easier for the kids to handle, very easy to control the amount of paint coming out, thus better results from inexperienced hands, less runs, drips, etc. PLUS the acrylic paint is an easy water clean up with no toxic fumes! My boys have produced some awesome looking cars, and with some of the stencils available, some really neat designs on the paint too.

The problem is that the cars look really great. Then we lube, put the wheels on, tune, test-runs, re-lube, etc., and end up with graphite smudges all over the car! Any tips on what to put over the acrylic paint to help the graphite NOT stick to it or wipe off easier?

Thanks,

3 Cub Dad
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: How do you keep / get graphite off the paint job??

Post by rpcarpe »

I use clean latex/rubber gloves to keep graphite fingerprints off a car. Otherwise, I've incorporated graphite coloring into the projected paint job.

That's one of the serious problems with graphite, messy.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

last year I got a air brusg and arcylic paints. And a compressor. I enjoyed learning, took a bit and I did a few cars and liked it and was just starting to get a feel for it, when I went back to monokote and other tinkering stuff.

But I would like to play more with it and use it more.

Now, sadly I have the same issue. I have tried some good cleaners, but they tend to take the paint off also.

I have waxed it up , left it on thick and did test and tune. then removed but was not a 100% success but did help some.

Now I think it was lucky13 or someone, who said they have used saranwrap over the body of the car for test and tune and then just took it back off later.

I thought that was a neat idea and cheap to try out and since it sticks to itself, should stay on to test and tune and then just unwrap. I never got around to trying it and actually forgot about it, until I seen this post.

Sporty
zeezop
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by zeezop »

I heard some people have had success with Pledge (Future) Floor Wax
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

3 Cub Dad wrote:Tried searching through threads and couldn't find the information.
If it helps, here's a related topic. Also, a little off-topic commentary on how to get graphite off in this topic.
Duane
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Duane »

rpcarpe wrote:Otherwise, I've incorporated graphite coloring into the projected paint job.
Graphite worked great in livening up the black matte paint job on our "Toothless Midnight Fury' dragon car.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Duane wrote:Graphite worked great in livening up the black matte paint job on our "Toothless Midnight Fury' dragon car.
I really want to see photos of that one! :bigups:

Back on topic... sorry, I don't have a solution for graphite stains, other than giving the paint plenty of time to cure, or using Krytox 100 instead of graphite.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

:offtopic:
Darin McGrew wrote:I really want to see photos of that one! :bigups:
Here's the topic. Apparently you've seen it before! ;)
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

FatSebastian wrote::offtopic:
Darin McGrew wrote:I really want to see photos of that one! :bigups:
Here's the topic. Apparently you've seen it before! ;)
I knew I'd enjoy seeing that design...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN-6PbqAPM" target="_blank
pwrd by tungsten
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwrd by tungsten »

I use a block of wood with four axle holes in it for lubing purposes and then transfer the axle wheel combos to the finished car...
W Racing!!!!
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scoremaker »

Your fforts deserve a final finish that is rewarding in eye appeal so do not shortchange yourself by applying a less than quality paint to the car. I recommend using a highquality"testor enamel spray paint to paint your car. Brushes tend to leave stroke lines thus the finish is not as smooth as when sprayed.

I always us clear lacquer spray. Follow the directions provided on the can. Apply two or three light coats of paint allowing serveral hours drying time between each coat. Using crocus cloth, which is available at most most hobby shops or hardware stores, lightly sand any imperfections between coats. This method yields a beautiful high gloss shine. Allow 48 hours for final coat to cure. To protect the finish youworked so hard to create, apply one or two coats of clear lacquer spray .This will diminidh the unsightly affects of caused from graphite powder.
VWAffe
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by VWAffe »

We've also had good success with lacquers. Now that your boys have some experience with the airbrush, you could move up to solvent-based paint. Lacquer is nice because it can be dissolved by lacquer thinner even if it dries in the airbrush, plus it dries incredibly fast, so doesn't have time to pick up much dust.

I found that Pactra (made by Testors) is a very nice lacquer, and available in bottles for airbrushing. Thin it about 20% with lacquer thinner, and let the good times roll. It dries much harder than an acrylic, and can be cleaned pretty easily. A clear coat over everything helps, too.

If you're worried about fumes, see how I solved that issue for virtually nothing with a cheap spray booth. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Tip
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Tip »

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works about as well as anything for graphite removal, but it does tend to dull the shine of the paint. The Magic Eraser has no peer as a wheel cleaner.
Shade Racing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Shade Racing »

Tip wrote:The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works about as well as anything for graphite removal, but it does tend to dull the shine of the paint. The Magic Eraser has no peer as a wheel cleaner.
then a good wax job :bigups:
Need for Speed
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by Need for Speed »

A good paint job. A good sealer/top coat. Compound, then wax will put a protective finish on the car. When graphite does get on the car, use cooking oil to get off. Small amount on a rag and wipe it off until all gone. It will clean off dry to the touch with a good shine.
Thanks !!!